My PC won't connect to the internet, please help!

JohnJSal

Hi all. I am having a major issue again with my PC losing connection to the internet. This has actually happened before, and while I was never able to figure out a solution, I did a system restore and that fixed the problem.

But I just tried that again and it didn't work this time. It's still having the issue.

Basically what happened is that I just came home the other day, turned on my PC (woke it from sleep mode, but it actually acted like it was restarting), and suddenly there was no internet connection icon in the system tray as there usually is. Also, Avast wasn't starting properly and it said it crashed, but I can't get it to restart. Another oddity is that the Windows system monitor icon (like a little shield) that usually appears in the system tray also did not appear. It flashed for about a second with a yellow exclamation mark on it, but then disappeared.

I get messages that my antivirus programs are turned off, although Windows Defender seems to be on. (But usually it is off since I use Avast.)

I tried uninstalling Avast but that didn't help. The restore point has put it back on now. There is also an Avast shortcut icon on the desktop, which wasn't there before the issue started the other day, so I don't know if that means Avast updated and caused this issue, or if the issue itself is causing problems with Avast.

IIRC, the last time this happened, I had these same issues with the antivirus programs not working, and the Windows icon not appearing either. I'm at a loss for what to do, because the system restore did not work this time!

And just to be clear, my internet service IS working fine. Everything else connects and works, but it's the wired connection to my PC that is not working.

Thanks!

Edit: I also want to mention that the system restore I did was the normal kind. The "type" category was called "System." It was from January 19, but that didn't work.

There is one other option, but it doesn't look normal. Under the type column, it says something like "module" or "installer." Would this be worth trying? I don't know what this is or what it would do. It's dated January 9.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would go back to earliest date listed and try it. Do yourself a favor though and get rid of Avast. I've seen way too many times that it has updated and caused issues. You definitely have something going on if this has happened before. You may want to do a SFC /scannow at an elevated command prompt to have the system scan for any missing or altered system files. When was the last time windows was reinstalled? It may be time for that.

JohnJSal

Thanks. I'll try the other system restore entry, even though I'm not sure it's the same thing as the first one.

I also have Avast set not to auto-update, so I'm not sure how it would have done so while I was away.

At any rate, I'm definitely moving on from it. Even after I un-installed it yesterday, there were still some Avast things running in my Task Manager today! I don't know how that's possible. I need to try another anti-virus program.

I installed Windows about a year and a half ago.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you didn't reboot the pc after uninstalling then they were residual and would have been removed after rebooting most likely. Another thing to try is to use revo uninstaller to totally get rid of it. I used to highly recommend it back in the day but I haven't for a few years now. Bitdefender would be one I would recommend now if you really need a dedicated one. Paid Malwarebytes or just use windows defender and free malwarebytes as an ondemand scanner.

JohnJSal

Thanks! Trying the other restore point seems to have worked! At first it didn't work because it said an anti-virus program was denying access to files, go figure!

Then I un-installed Avast yet again and it worked! Of course, the restore put it back and it once again froze and caused issues, but now it's gone.

I'll definitely look into that uninstaller! And as long as Windows Defender is good enough, I'll use that.

The only problem I have now is Chrome won't open! When I click the icon, nothing happens! I get such random problems!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Uninstall chrome and then reinstall it. It may be time to reinstall windows or as I said, do an sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt.

JohnJSal

Luckily, opening Chrome with administrator privileges seems to have fixed that issue. I only had to do that once and now it opens normally.