My rear exhaust fan is a little weird

novicegeek

For the most part, I like rear exhaust fans okay. They pretty much keep a low profile and mind their own business; however, recently my fan has been acting a little weird.

Before elaborating, let me say about two months ago, I swapped out my second Reeven Four Eyes fan controller for a Kingwin fan controller because I had bad luck with both Reevens. It was cool with the touch controls and all, but it wasn't so cool when it didn't show fans and temps. At any rate, with the Kingwin, so far it seems to be doing well.

But this morning, when I booted up the computer, the rear fan would stop and the fan controller alarm would start beeping, then it would start up again, screaching as it did. This starting/stopping cycle went on about seven or eight times when I had decided that I had had enough; the beeping was annoying me and getting my wife to wondering whether I build another firepit in the office. I shut down the computer and then started it up again. Not a single issue from that point on.

It has done this, I believe, one other time, about a month ago, but it sort of remedied itself; it just starting going with no further issues. Other than those two instances, no issues. The fan itself is a Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo Duo-Ring Addressable RGB 120mm fan. The fan is about 2 1/2 years old.

My thoughts are a connection issue or a fan going bad or in need of lubrication, but honestly, I don't know. That's why I'm asking you guys. All of you seem to have the answers when Google fails me.

So, whadda think?

beers

Staff member
Bearings probably going out, a lot of them will make noise from a cold boot and then smooth out a little bit afterward but it will likely get progressively worse over time.

It should free spin with your hand but if it sags a bit that's likely the source of your resistance/noise