My screen goes off after a few minutes

Kkrea

Hello

Today for the first time in a long time I opened a computer, bought two cans of compressed air and started cleaning the inside. After assembling the computer and connecting all devices (monitor, mouse, speakers), the first time the computer was turned on, a notification was displayed that the computer was unable to start, then it began to try to look for a solution, but found nothing, then turned off. After restarting the computer all seemed to work perfectly, but after a few minutes the screen went out, it did not turn off just disconnected its USB connection with the computer. Thanks to the keyboard and speakers, I was able to make sounds (I was spamming with shift key until I heard sound signal), i.e. I think the problem is with the USB socket, could I really break something only by cleaning with compressed air? I will add that the monitor turns off faster when I do more things on the computer, i.e. when I turn on a few cards on chrome, it turns off after a few seconds, but if I leave it alone and do nothing it can stay on for 30 min. Shortly after the screens goes of you can hear the windows error sound, shame can't see what's the problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Was the computer working fine before blowing it out? Did you expel any of the liquid on anything? Does it have a dedicated video card or is it using integrated video?

Kkrea

Was the computer working fine before blowing it out? Did you expel any of the liquid on anything? Does it have a dedicated video card or is it using integrated video?

It was, just had some heat problems. No i just used a canned air that is meant to be used for this stuff. I dont know the answer to the third question, but I am assuming that it has a video card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you remove the cpu heatsink at all and just put it back on without removing the old thermal paste and reapplying new?
I dont know the answer to the third question, but I am assuming that it has a video card.

Can you post pictures of the back of the computer? Heat issue can either be cpu related or video card related or both depending on if the case has good cooling or not. Can you provide us pc specs and if this is a custom built pc or store bought?

Kkrea

I haven't used any paste i also didn't unscrew anything but the cover. I ve managed to use a app that shows u the temperature of any component of the computer, and the graphics card goes from 70 to 100 degrees celcius, at 100 the screen turns black, the processors tmp is 30-35 celcius. To clean the computer i used only a can of air. Is it possible that all I have to do is put a thermal paste into a graphics card?

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_135923.jpg
    IMG_20200523_135923.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you solved it. Yes, you do have a dedicated video card. The computer does have integrated video though since you have vga and dvi ports on the motherboard itself. What are the temps for the video card now? Make sure all fans are blown out, the power supply, back case fan. Make sure you blow them out every 6 months or so or more depending on how dusty it gets there. And if you smoke, do it every few months.

Kkrea

After a few hours of using it it's on 70 degrees. Thanks for all the advices, it's very helpfull. Have a nice day!