My security is Norton, Your?

Fatback

VIP Member
Norton is AWFUL! I use MCE and some of that common sense stuff mentioned early!

I hear that a lot but there is nothing you can do to make me believe it.

IMO I would never use MCE not after what I have saw the past few weeks. People have been bring a ton of computers in with viruses and they are all running MCE and all have the same virus. If you know how to surf the web right and know what not to click on then in decent virus protection will do just fine.

laznz1

so what your saying is Norton fine as long as you also use common sense ??

see what i make of that is, that if a computer guy uses it they'll be fine but if Joe bloggs uses it he wont be?

Fatback

VIP Member
so what your saying is Norton fine as long as you also use common sense ??

see what i make of that is, that if a computer guy uses it they'll be fine but if Joe bloggs uses it he wont be?

There is not virus protection that can protect a user who doesn't know what not to click. Eventually they will always catch a virus. No virus protection is full proof something will get though.

Bodaggit23

I've used MSE since it was BETA, and I've not had an issue since.

I use nothing else on all 3 of my pc's, and I've put it on several
"clients" pc's, and they haven't had issues either.

I've clicked on plenty of questionable links, just to test it, and it passes with flying colors...

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have Norton 2010 I have been using Norton as long as I can remember. I have never had a virus on my computers. It doesn't slow my computer down at all it's just as fast with Norton as it is with AVG.

Thats because Norton has not detected them lol....nah,Maybe a few years ago yes i could have said that because we all know Norton was a useless resource hog that basicly did nothing but slow our systems down,However ive not tried their new version,I heard it runs alot more effecient than it used too but its detection rate is still not all that good :confused:

Anyway i cant seem to find a better free Antivirus/Antispyware package than Avast,Its realy good...auto updates that dont bother you,you just set it and leave it which is great for me.

Geoff

VIP Member
+1

I haven't used an AV in nearly ten years. If you keep your OS and your browsers updated, you do not run anything that you do not trust, and stay away from shady websites, then you won't get viruses. Plain and simple.

The common user's inability to differentiate between a legitimate download and malware-loaded crap will never cease to amaze me...
It amazes me too, who opens .exe files from an E-Mail saying that UPS failed to deliver a package? There needs to be some sort of training before people can use the internet.

You haven't upgraded to v3.0 yet? Sheesh it's all common sense.
Don't need to :D

deanj20

Fatback said:
If you know how to surf the web right and know what not to click on then in decent virus protection will do just fine.
If you know how to secure your computer and use common sense, then you don't need an antivirus to begin with. I'm not surprised that you haven't caught anything with Norton... you'd probably be fine without an AV altogether...

Fatback said:
It doesn't slow my computer down at all it's just as fast with Norton as it is with AVG.
Fatback's Rig: ...CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435 @3.6Ghz RAM: 4GB OCZ Blade Series @996Mhz...
Yeah... you'll probably be alright... :rolleyes: :p

Not everyone can afford a system like that though, and most average users are doing good to be running a 1.5GHz machine w/ 1GB RAM... most I've worked with have considerably less resources...

I haven't tried the new Norton, and maybe it has improved, but I know I removed a virus (fake antivirus pain-in-the-ass virus) from a computer less than two months ago from a computer running Norton updated. I don't remember what the version was...

I still don't understand why you would pay for an AV when there is much better protection available free of charge...

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Norton's '09 release was a complete re-do from the ground up that they were working on since '05. Their head developer had left the company in '02, and then they got him to come back because of how badly the software had degenerated, so he told them that it was going to take until the '09 release until they had a top-notch program again due to the fact that the program coding was going to have to be completely re-done from the ground up. So, if you guys are referring to the '03 - '08 versions sucking, I'd 100% agree; but the '09 and '10 versions should be a lot less of a resource hog, and a lot more effective at catching viruses.

Fatback

VIP Member
If you know how to secure your computer and use common sense, then you don't need an antivirus to begin with. I'm not surprised that you haven't caught anything with Norton... you'd probably be fine without an AV altogether...

Yea I don't even have a virus protection on my backup rig and I still have never got a virus on it. Although I defiantly wouldn't be ok with out an antivirus. I still attract quite a few viruses Norton blocks them all though. I still run malwarebytes and hijack once a week to make sure nothing has gotten through.

Fatback's Rig: ...CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 435 @3.6Ghz RAM: 4GB OCZ Blade Series @996Mhz...
Yeah... you'll probably be alright... :rolleyes: :p

Not everyone can afford a system like that though, and most average users are doing good to be running a 1.5GHz machine w/ 1GB RAM... most I've worked with have considerably less resources...

I haven't tried the new Norton, and maybe it has improved, but I know I removed a virus (fake antivirus pain-in-the-ass virus) from a computer less than two months ago from a computer running Norton updated. I don't remember what the version was...

I still don't understand why you would pay for an AV when there is much better protection available free of charge...

Yea I know I have a pretty decent PC(most of which I got for free:D). Still I can understand why people think Norton is such a bad anti-virus. There past versions where pretty bad there 07 version was terrible. Now though they are pretty decent maybe not the best but pretty good. People who call it useless though obviously don't know how to use common sense. If they did then they wouldn't think it was useless because they would never get a virus.

Why do I keep paying for Norton? it's because I have used Norton most of my life with a PC. I have tried plenty of other anti-viruses AVG, Avast, KASPERSKY, Trend Micro, etc. They where all good they all worked but I have always just been a Norton fan. Back in 06 and 07 when Norton was terrible I tried to find an alternative. So I used McAfee now if you won't to talk about a bad anti-virus then there you go. I had it on my PC for 2months and got so many viruses that I had to wipe my HDD and reinstall windows. The only thing I have ever liked other then Norton is KASPERSKY but the only time I would even consider switching to it is if something went wrong with Norton. AVG and Avast are really good anti-viruses especially to be free but I'm the kind of person who dosen't mind spending money on what I like and am used to. That plus I bet the minute I switch to a different anti-virus that the viruses will start pooring in:p

jhooga

I use MSE and malwarebytes on both my machines and have yet to ever get a virus, I will never use Norton or Mcafee again both waste of money IMO

JlCollins005

We run MSE on all of our computers at the house, and i have also had most my family switch to either mse or avg, most had trend micro and norton.

I have had to fix a butt load of computers that all were infected heavily and all had norton on them.

Fully up to date as well, ive also noticed that norton tends to block internet usage, ive had a few computers that would connect to the internet but would not load web pages tried multiple things last resort remove norton and everything started working.

Norton may be better now but with the availability of free programs that work just as well i wont spend money on anything

NVX_185

Eset NOD32 AntiVirus. Nothing beats the simplicity, low-resource crunching sexy-looking interface of Nod32. Ever sicne it's been on my computer, I've had minimal virii/adware, etc. It's the big mumma of my monster. Does its job , always. Highly recommended App.

laznz1

im just began testing the New Norton software and so far its looking as shit as the last ones it is less of a resource hog thou