My warranty expires tomorrow. What is causing this problem?

fronty

My warranty expires tomorrow, so I want to make sure this problem wouldn't be covered under warranty. Basically, my internet keeps dropping out. Most of the times is says "server not found." I then click "try again" and it will pull up the site. I have another HP notebook that I use with the same setup (router/modem) and it never drops out. Sometimes the internet drops out completely, and I have to try reconnecting numerous times to get it working. The odd thing is that it will still show the globe sometimes at the bottom and say I am still connected. Here is my setup:

-HP Pavillion 6000 notebook
-Intel Pro Wireless 3945abg
-Netgear Wireless router WGR614 Ver 6

The internet drops out at other locations as well. This coupled with the fact my other HP doesn't drop out at all leads me to believe that it has nothing to do with my ISP provider (I've tried other ISP's at a friend's house). I called HP support at he keeps saying it is my ISP provider. He also says it could be my antivirus settings. He then recommended I do a clean install and reload my operating system. I downloaded the latest drivers for the router and my network adaptor, but I guess I could check to see if I truly have the latest version.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
i've seen issues arise with intel pro wireless mini pci cards similar to the one in that notebook. I had an intel prowireless 2200 g pci card in my laptop that did something similar to what you are discribing. It turned out that the card was actually going bad, but lucky for me they're easy to replace and they aren't very expensive either. It cost me about 30 bucks for a new one on newegg.com. I would venture to say that your wireless card is going bad.

fronty

are you using a wireless mouse on your nb ??

I don't connect it anymore, but it does load a synaptics pointing device program everytime I boot. It shows the icon in the tool bar. Have you heard of problems associated with a wireless mouse?

fronty

i've seen issues arise with intel pro wireless mini pci cards similar to the one in that notebook. I had an intel prowireless 2200 g pci card in my laptop that did something similar to what you are discribing. It turned out that the card was actually going bad, but lucky for me they're easy to replace and they aren't very expensive either. It cost me about 30 bucks for a new one on newegg.com. I would venture to say that your wireless card is going bad.

Is there anyway to know for sure it is the card? Tech support keeps blowing me off.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
there's no real great way to make sure it's the card, about the only way to do it is to replace it and see if the problem goes away. if it doesn't then you could always send the card back... you'd just lose a little bit in shipping.

JlCollins005

is that the dv6000 cuz there was an article on a news site about the hp dv6000-7000 series with the built in wireless.. many owners of them had contacted hp about the wireless failing on them and hp had no response then this news site or something message hp about it and hp finally released information saying that it seems to be with the amd systems more than the intel ones for some reason.. but it did not say that hp was gunna fix all it said was to try updated drivers and a bios update.. to add to this i have a hp dv6000 right here that was doin the same thing as urs then the wireless cut out completely ive tried fixing this and cant seem to get it to work, ive done the bios update and the new drivers, tried linux, and other version of XP/vista nothing.. next thing i was gunna try was replacing the internal wireless myself cuz the warranty is up on this one.

charly

I ran on wlireless lan + wireless mouse with continuesly disconnecting without no reason (i thought so). after i changed my wlan to a higher channel, i had no more problems. finally my isp said it's an knowen issue, but when i asked they had no idea :(.

ciao

fronty

is that the dv6000 cuz there was an article on a news site about the hp dv6000-7000 series with the built in wireless.. many owners of them had contacted hp about the wireless failing on them and hp had no response then this news site or something message hp about it and hp finally released information saying that it seems to be with the amd systems more than the intel ones for some reason.. but it did not say that hp was gunna fix all it said was to try updated drivers and a bios update.. to add to this i have a hp dv6000 right here that was doin the same thing as urs then the wireless cut out completely ive tried fixing this and cant seem to get it to work, ive done the bios update and the new drivers, tried linux, and other version of XP/vista nothing.. next thing i was gunna try was replacing the internal wireless myself cuz the warranty is up on this one.

Do you have a link to the article?