MY wireless is not working help!!!

Yandy30

OK I have a centrino laptop and I have a wireless connection at home that consit of my DSL modem hooed up to a router in order to get my laptop's wireless connection to work.

The connection is very unstable menaning. I am online one minute and the next am not( on my laptop of course). :mad:
Am pissed off at this..

I spoke to a friend of mine and he told me that I had too many electronincs in my room, to take some out. I have my TV, VCR, DVD, Stereo and Computer ohh and I also have a 2.4MHZ telephone there too. I dont know if it matters

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

silver 95

everything in your room is fine, EXCEPT for the phone. I bet any time you use it, you get disconnected. see if you can find a different phone or get a 900mhz one. also microwaves are bad.
do you have service pack 2, because i know taht caused a lot of issues for people. also, how far away is the router, maybe you are trying to go through too much and the signal is not strong enough. Try walking around the house a bit and see if the signal strength changes as you get closer/further or through walls.
If that's the case, you can get replacement antennas for your router (probably).

Make sure you have all the latest drivers for both your router and your laptop.
If you get new drivers for your router, make sure you plug in with your laptop and not use your wireless connection to load them onto there.

anyways, hope that helps a little bit, if it doesnt, come back with more info
1.router type
2.where laptop is usually located according to router
3.what operating system you are running on your laptop
4. are there any other computers running off of the router (wired/wireless)

we'll probably be able to better point you in the right direction with that info

anthonyrstanley

the 2.4Ghz phons and 900mhz the fact that it say Ghz and Mhz doesn't mean they are faster that is what frequency it works on so just buy liike a 1h phone think radio waves people. i don't care if you have a 999ghz same speed, Diffrent Frequncy. Sortof like DMA numbers heeheheh. (For computers)

:D :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:

Southy

How are you connecting to your wireless connection on your laptop? Are you using a PCMCIA Card to connect or using wireless hardware built right into your computer?

The reason I ask this is, if you are using a PCMCIA card, some cards have problems with XP SP2 and will just disconnect you. I have known this from experience, my PCMCIA card would do that whenever I tried to connect to a secured wireless point but an unsecure wireless point would work just fine, it turns out that an update in SP2 would just make the card disconnect for some reason, but only on a secured (wep) wireless point. Look up in your cards or computer's manunal under troubleshooting to see if it will tell you any known problems.