my xpert vision FX5500

shawy14

i have jus bought a xpertvision FX5500 to replace my Geforce 2 MX which died on me the other week. The only problem is that the new graphics card is making the computer very unstable and sometimes not booting windows xp up fully. Also it is causing errors like services.exe crashing. I think it is to do with the power supply because it is only a 400w and has the motherboard, dvd-rw,cd-rw,hdd,floppy and fan controller unit. Can anyone help me at all.

thanks

Impulse666

unless the fx5500 is a high end card ($300+) your 400w psu should be fine.
could be bad drivers, go to manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your OS.

holdenssx

How many amps does your power supply have on its 12+ Rail? The minimum recommened is 18 AMPS.
Can you post a link to the PSU your using?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I've run my old fx5500 with a 250watt psu with 15amps on the 12v rail and had no problems. Try installing the drivers again.

elitehacker

could be bad drivers, go to manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your OS.

The FX5500, is definite NOT a high end card, I don't think power is the problem here.

Hanamichi

Absolutely elitehacker power is not the problem here.Because I also owned FX5500 and used it with my 320W PSU.May driver is the problem.

elitehacker

When you say not booting up XP fully, do you mean it automatically restarts or what? I suggest you turn auto restart off, so you can actually see the error.

Geoff

VIP Member
The FX5500 is a low end very old card (few years), and doesnt use much power.

StrangleHold

Staff member
http://www.xpertvision.com/en/products/nv_agp_FX5500.html that is the graphics card. But the psu is unbranded so i cant post it up. The only thing is I cant get on to windows xp to install the drivers. I have another graphics card so i could use that for installing the drivers.

Boot into Safe mode by press F8 while booting and uninstall the old card drivers and restart and see if it will boot to windows then. Install these afterwards.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html