"mysterious shutdown"???

dansilva

twice in the same day i have experienced automatic shutdown on my computer. absolutely no warning signs or whatevers comes on screen its just shutdown completely. i did a full visrus scan as well as a spyware scan results are negative so lets rule that out. my computer has been ON since 10th of Aug till this present day, with occasional reboots. could it be a cpu is over heated and resulted in a shutdown if so why didnt it happen before?why now twice in the same day? could it be a faulty with my power supply (Antec true power 550W) i really dont know whats happening here so please if someone help me to solve the mystary?

thank you

Scrat

What O/S are you running?

Does the O/S shut itself down first or does the whole PC just "loose power".
Does the monitor power/status light stay on... what colour is it?

------------------------
Ephesian 5:18 - Mmm... scotch :p

smitherz

right so the PC does not shut down, it looses power. again what O/S are you running on? is there any type of blue screen? is there any type of message before it looses power?

dansilva

i am running XP Pro oem edition as i mention earlier there is no warning sign what-so-ever....no blue screen either. computer just shutdown until i have to swtich it ON to run again.

Scrat

What was the ambiant temp in the room the day this happened?
Is you PC's internal speaker plugged in?
Are warnings enabled in your BIOS?
Is your monitor powered directly from the wall or from the PC's PSU? Try powering it from the PC's PSU and next time the fault occurs check if there is still anypower going to the monitor(is the monitor's stand-by light lit).
Does the Fan in the PSU work, and was it still going when the PC lost power?

If you've got a couple of spare dollars i'd suggest buying a new PSU as they are relitivly cheap and could fix the problem.. or at least tell you what isn't causing it :p

dansilva

hmmm........ have you added any new hardware recently?
no i havent add any new hardware recently.

What was the ambiant temp in the room the day this happened?
i live in UK (London) its winter time here and its bitterly cold and i had heaters swtiched off so i would say the tem in my room was about 15C.

Is you PC's internal speaker plugged in?
yeah i have 5.1 surround sounds running but that has been there for more than a year.

Are warnings enabled in your BIOS?
yes they are enabled

Is your monitor powered directly from the wall or from the PC's PSU?
my monitor is powered by a different socket point in the house as it has been for over a year now
everything was working fine nice and smooth as far as i can say, externally then KABLAMOOO!!! computer shutdown

smitherz

It sounds like it is your PSU, you could use a multi-metre to test if there is any voltage coming through when the power cuts off. Well i think that is going to be the most likely cause but could be something else

dansilva

i have 550W Antec True Power and i had it for less than a year. already its faulty?

you could use a multi-metre to test if there is any voltage coming through when the power cuts off
hey could u be more specific please and how do i run multi-meter test.

smitherz

a multi-metre is an electrical device which you can buy from a warehouse like B&Q etc. you can insert the probes in to the power lead and it should read a voltage on a scale. Be careful though as it can be dangerous if you are inexperienced. All this will do is determine whether there is any power coming through on your mains lead so you then can come to a decision on the fault.
Antec is one of the best and is rare to go wrong.
possible that that might not be the problem.

smitherz

omsairam

By default errors cause automatic reboot

to turn off the automatic reboot

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Then the error is displayed and you have to troubleshoot it...but the automatic reboot will stop

dansilva said:
twice in the same day i have experienced automatic shutdown on my computer. absolutely no warning signs or whatevers comes on screen its just shutdown completely. i did a full visrus scan as well as a spyware scan results are negative so lets rule that out. my computer has been ON since 10th of Aug till this present day, with occasional reboots. could it be a cpu is over heated and resulted in a shutdown if so why didnt it happen before?why now twice in the same day? could it be a faulty with my power supply (Antec true power 550W) i really dont know whats happening here so please if someone help me to solve the mystary?

thank you