Mystery Problem

Muralot

Mystery Problem - Fixed (I hope)

Hi there!
I have a very weird problem and I hope someone can help me. Will try to be as precise as possible.
Problem: Computer freezes randomly or the monitor goes black, but the computer is sill on like it’s in standby mode, but it is not (settings checked, standby mode- never, monitor off – never, hard disks – never ). It usually happens when the computer is idle. When I restart it reaches the Logon screen and sometimes restarts or goes into the weird standby-like mode (computer still working, monitor black).
After 3 or 4 tries computer is able to load and runs fine, like there were no problems at all. It will start and run normally for days, even weeks without any problems than suddenly they start again.
Ran Virus scans (Trend Micro and AVG Anti-Virus with updated defs), Spyware scans (Spybot, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, and Spysweeper also with updated defs) and Trojan scans (The Cleaner) – all clean, no pests. Checked startup, running processes, services – nothing wrong there either.
Don’t think it’s a monitor problem (tried it on another PC for over a month without any problems); hard drive is OK (SMART status Healthy, all drive tests are fine); tested memory on another PC, again works fine there. All hardware is about 2 years old, custom build PC. My CPU is running a little hot – 60C. Can this be the reason and any suggestions how to fix it? MB is fine – 37C. All drivers and devices are OK, no conflicts, no new hardware installed.
I “googled” for days but can’t find a solution. There are similar problems but nothing like what I got. I would appreciate any ideas and help.

System:
OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
MotherBoard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X-X REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 08/06/2003
Processor:
1.47 AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hard Drive:
SAMSUNG 80.00 GB
Video Card:
RADEON 9200 SERIES
Monitor:
ViewSonic A70-2

256 RAM; 400 Watt Power Supply

Sorry for the long post, but it is a complicated situation :)

Last edited:

Muralot

supersly_jones said:
have you checked your monitor power wire...mine used to do that to

Monitor works fine with another PC and yes, checked all cables. Thanks for the suggestion, though...

Muralot

KillermilleR said:
did you check your bios settings ???

Yep, checked that too. Updated BIOS - still got the problem, restored original again - same thing. That was the first thing I checked.
Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.

my ev700 (gateway) used to turn off, and the green power button was still lit, so i smacked the top of the monitor (the plasic part) and now it's fine, but no restarts

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I restart it reaches the Logon screen and sometimes restarts or goes into the weird standby-like mode (computer still working, monitor black).
Look up q812415, Q306676, Q331958 at Microsoft.com :)

twmr

well i know that my computer will give a warning when cpu reaches 40c and shut down at 45c. 60 is way hot

Muralot

I guess the problem was overheating. Changed the tower, so I can get more ventilation and so far no problems... Hope to keep it this way.
Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate every reply! :)