A new
Motherboard in order to run these goodies
Amd phenom II x4 970t

Radeon hd 6850

Corsair vengeance 4gb ddr3

Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Sony opiTarc 24x DVDrw drive

Cooler master rc-430-kwn1 elite430

Corsair builder series cx600 (600 watts)

Gary1

Go for the 1st Gigabyte because the AMD CPU will bottleneck Crossfire/SLI at x16/x16. If you want to run SLI or Crossfire the i5 and i7 CPU's will run x8/x8 better than AMD can run dual x16.

Of course if money is no issue either MOBO will work fine. Gigabyte is a great company. Judging from your other posts your not going to overclock?? The cheaper of the two will be fine.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Go for the 1st Gigabyte because the AMD CPU will bottleneck Crossfire/SLI at x16/x16. If you want to run SLI or Crossfire the i5 and i7 CPU's will run x8/x8 better than AMD can run dual x16.

The first board runs the second slot at X4 in Crossfire, plus its off the southbridge. Its not a good crossfire board. Running two slots at 16X or 8X will have no performance difference with a AMD or Intel unless your running two 7950 or above cards. Both Intel and AMD board slots bandwidth are the same. Its a CPU bottleneck, has nothing to do with the slots.

jonnyp11

Mine is 600 watts for 50 bucks dude.

So i'm guessing you already have it, but on newegg it's 70/60, while that 550w is 72/57 (actually with shipping it's more, but still), the thing is that the labled watts are never right. There are several voltages running through the psu to different parts, but the main ones are on the 12v rail, which that 550w actually has more amps on than the cx600, and since watts=v*a, the 550w's 44amps make it more powerful than the cx600's 40amps. Might not really matter, but always nice to know.

Jackiz kirey

The first board runs the second slot at X4 in Crossfire, plus its off the southbridge. Its not a good crossfire board. Running two slots at 16X or 8X will have no performance difference with a AMD or Intel unless your running two 7950 or above cards. Both Intel and AMD board slots bandwidth are the same. Its a CPU bottleneck, has nothing to do with the slots.

Don't mean to be an ass but please
Speak
ENGLISH

Jackiz kirey

Its not my fault your stupid and a ass.

I'm stupid for not
Knowing all this shit about computers? Well
For your information I actually have a life.
I just want to buy parts to save money didn't expect stuff like u just said. If it it gonna be a fukingass then get out of my thread

jonnyp11

No need for that strangle. But i don't think your "don't mean to be an ass" helped you out there, but if you use foul language and insult on this forum, infractions will be issued, and i think 3/year is the limit before temp. bans happen (which i have 3...).

It's saying the first board won't do well at crossfiring. Unless you run the top of the line super-cards, pci-e x8 and x16 don't matter, there is a very minuscule or no difference. But with that first board, x4 will limit the power of a card severely, and when it's off the southbridge, that reduces performance more, as the other slot is run off of the north bridge, i'm not sure what's going on there but that's how it is. When you buy one of the better chipsets like the 990fx on that second board, they have a higher bandwidth, so they can handle more info at once on the northbridge, which is why they cost more, cuz they're better for stuff like crossfiring.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'm stupid for not
Knowing all this shit about computers? Well
For your information I actually have a life.
I just want to buy parts to save money didn't expect stuff like u just said. If it it gonna be a fukingass then get out of my thread

Well for one thing, my post wasnt directed at you at all. It was a response to Gary1 from post 3. If you had really read my post, it would have saved you money by buying the first board. Then you tell me your not trying to be a ass and speak english. Saying, can you explain that better would have been a better way of asking, instead of saying your not trying to be a ass and speak english.

Gary1

AMD can run dual x16 Intel 1155 sockets only have 16 lanes of PCIe bandwidth. AMD has 42. Best you can get out of SLI or crossfire with 1155 is dual x8. The advantage with Intel is higher performance so it can do more with SLI. To answer the question posted any thing you instal in a PCIe slot will consume bandwith ether x1, x4,x8 and x16. If your system has 16 you max out at 16. 42 you max out at 42. Just because you have more does not mean its better.

With 7950 your computer has to have ability to run PCI-e 3.0 to benefit from PCI-e3.0. PCI-e 3.0 is basically = to 2 PCI-e2.0 so when you do SLI with Sandy bridge it will be = to dual sli at x16 instead of x8, but it will still be x8/x8 because its PCI-3.0 and the 1155 socket only has 16 lanes of pci-e bandwidth the ivy bridge is said to be the same.

I hope that is understandable.

Last edited:

Gary1

I apologize for my mistake. I mistook the first motherboard for the second. If you purchased it already and went threw newegg they will accept the return. I was trying to explain why sli or crossfire was not worth the extra money with AMD boards.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The point is, unless your using higher end cards, X16 slots will be pointless with Intel or AMD. AMD or Intel will scale very little with dual X16 slots.