n00b question

ray_miecz

alright sorry I'm new here and not very good with computers...

but i have a question about my internal CD/DVD writer. It's the original that came with the computer and it works like normal except it seems like the computer doesn't "understand" it... heres a scenario:

- I got a CD and I want to rip it onto my computer.. the tray opens like it normally would, but nothing happens when it goes in. on My Computer it doesn't even show a cd drive. I still get no response when I use an external drive so I think maybe I might need some software or something?

sorry but I'm a complete computer retard and I'd really appreciate any help :D

(my comp is a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with service pack 2, and it's by Compaq)

Dngrsone

VIP Member
ray_miecz said:
sorry but what's dma?

Direct Memory Access-- it allows the drive to dump data straight into the memory instead of requiring the processor to move it... using DMA can speed data transfers along quite nicely.

That isn't what's causing the problem, however... you may have a corrupted driver for the DVD-RW or the drive has geniunely failed.

ray_miecz

alright so dngrsone told me that you go to the properties for that drive to turn on dma (in a pm)...

but the drive doesn't even show up when i open my computer... is it possible to download the driver software? (it's a compaq windows xp amd sempron...)

Dngrsone

VIP Member
If there is a seperate driver to download, then yes, you should be able to get it the manufacturer's site, or google the drive model number and driver.

If you go back into SYstem properties, Hardware Management, right-click on the drive then you'll be able to get the Properties for it there.

ray_miecz

ok please forgive me but i can't find the software for it :( .

here's what i know:
Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B
Type : DVD±RW/CD-RW
Write Speed: 16x

ray_miecz

Xycron said:
If windows ins't even regonizing it it may not eb plugged in all the way in the case.
- How would I make sure it's plugged in all the way?
- when I press the button, it opens and closes like normal, and the light flashes when the tray goes back in.

fade2green514

yea, i had a similar problem, nero would say "dma driver error" it was the ribbon cable just as theyre telling you. just unplug the ribbon cable that goes for the drive ure using, and plug it back in. make sure you plug it in all the way.

fade2green514

lol unscrew the side panel on the back of the case, and youll see a ribbon cable plugged into the back of your optical drive. lol just make sure its plugged into both ends correctly, and sufficiently.

ray_miecz

grrr.... i checked and the ribbon and power were both in just fine, i cleaned out some dust, and still nothing. I didn't expect the ribbon cable to have anything to do with it though because an external cd drive doesn't work either, which makes me believe that it could be the driver, but it found no new updates for the driver... anyways this is what i get with the device manager:

EDIT: and yes i tried with music and data and dvd discs

ray_miecz

ok... another day another theory lol...

here's why I thought something was wrong in the registry:

I got a registry first-aid thing and it fixed like 456 problems, but not the one with the cd drive. I also error-checked (using C: properties>tools) and STILL nothing. I also get the same error message when using an external cd drive too...

please I REALLY want this fixed!!!!!!!! :(

EDIT: note the error message changed since I reinforced the ribbon label* (see above post)

krimson_king

so wait, you have an external drive? and that doesnt work either?...sounds strange. removable devices usually are on a different drive letter, which would explain the corrupted drive....but you say it doesnt work. hmm...