Names of File Transfer Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Mail Man

greetings all,

....i have been at this a few *&%&*&^^!! days now and almost giving up...i need to transfer files, etc from one laptop to a new laptop....both are running xp pro......net cards, etc

**i do NOT want to do this by using a flash drive or burning to disc**

....i have a cross-over cable and have used my brothers "alohabob" program to do this task, HOWEVER, it starts the process and then, i get a momentary blue screen and the computer reboots and i have to start the process all over again...i am not looking to troubleshoot this problem with this particular program so, i am DONE with that program.....

....i have done some reading about changing some protocol in the settings in the computer but, when i tried that years ago, i f-ed up my computer and had to start all over. so, i am NOT willing to do that as you can imagine nor am i wanting to go through a router.

....so, now that i laid the foundation for my question, **what i am looking for is the name of a few "self-configuring" file transfer programs (NOT cisco network pro or any ftp or web based) that i can utilize my cross-over cables to effectuate this arduous and irritating task. any help would be appreciated!...THANKS!

Da Mail Man

Can't you just share the files/folders and copy-paste them...?

...thanks for the reply.....please re-read my request....the problem is i cannot link the 2 computers together so, how am i to cut and paste??...either way, i am looking for PROGRAM NAMES w/in the parameters of my initial post...

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Well, it's impossible to transfer stuff over any kinda cross-over cable (hell, any form of cable or network device) without linking the computers... and why wouldn't you want to "link them" anyways?

Da Mail Man

Well, it's impossible to transfer stuff over any kinda cross-over cable (hell, any form of cable or network device) without linking the computers... and why wouldn't you want to "link them" anyways?

.....i beg to differ with you..it is possible as my brother has done it many a time...that out of the way, i NEVER said i didn't want to link them, please re-read orig post....i am looking for program names that i can use as I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY MANUAL CHANGES AND WOULD RATHER HAVE THE PROGRAM DO IT FOR ME AUTOMATICALLY...understand?

canivari

in the computer that is BSOD check a recent driver for the network card.
Download it and update it.
Try to transfer the files again.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Do both systems boot? a 15 dollar 8 gig flash drive would be an easy to way to exchange files, or network the computers.

canivari

....thanks for the reply...still not what i asked or was looking for..

So, what do you really want to do?
Just upload stuff from one pc to the other one?
If its that the thing get an USB link 2.0 (480mbps) and thats it..
The USB link allready got the easy software with him and works
like an...
...link..to upload from one computer to the other one.

The usb links are like this ones:

http://www.usbgear.com/link/index.html

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
.....i beg to differ with you..it is possible as my brother has done it many a time...that out of the way, i NEVER said i didn't want to link them, please re-read orig post....

...thanks for the reply.....please re-read my request....the problem is i cannot link the 2 computers together so, how am i to cut and paste??...either way, i am looking for PROGRAM NAMES w/in the parameters of my initial post...
Hmm...?

i am looking for program names[/B][/U][/I] that i can use as I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY MANUAL CHANGES AND WOULD RATHER HAVE THE PROGRAM DO IT FOR ME AUTOMATICALLY...understand?
What do you mean by "manual" changes anyways? There is no program that magically does everything for you, you have to do something... and file sharing isn't even hard to set up, just enable file sharing in network settings, make sure they're in the same work group, right-click the file and hit the sharing options, and then just copy it. And even if you don't want to change any settings, is using a flash stick really that much of a hassle?

Da Mail Man

So, what do you really want to do?
Just upload stuff from one pc to the other one?
If its that the thing get an USB link 2.0 (480mbps) and thats it..
The USB link allready got the easy software with him and works
like an...
...link..to upload from one computer to the other one.

The usb links are like this ones:

http://www.usbgear.com/link/index.html

ok, let me try this again;

**what i am looking for is the name of a few "self-configuring" file transfer programs (NOT cisco network pro or any ftp or web based) that i can utilize my cross-over cables to effectuate this arduous and irritating task**....nothing else, no work arounds, no get this or do that, etc......

Da Mail Man

Hmm...?

What do you mean by "manual" changes anyways? There is no program that magically does everything for you, you have to do something... and file sharing isn't even hard to set up, just enable file sharing in network settings, make sure they're in the same work group, right-click the file and hit the sharing options, and then just copy it. And even if you don't want to change any settings, is using a flash stick really that much of a hassle?

...alohabob does something without me having to make ANY ANY ANY changes to either computer other then to connect the cable and install in both computers...see first post....in it you will see (i hope) the issues or preferences i have sited on the use of flash drives, cd burning etc.......your instructions are not names of appropriate PROGRAMS i am seeking.....thanks anyway.

Da Mail Man

...again members, i am not looking for anything else EXCEPT the NAMES NAMES NAMES of "self-configuring" programs, NOT ANY WORK AROUNDS.....
(SEE ORIGINAL POST(S) )......

Da Mail Man

Well you said your bro has done it, why don't you just ask him?

..re-read my initial post regarding the program i used!..that is why i declined to use alohabob as it restarted my computer...so, my initital post still stands....
...again, i see no program names mentioned....anyone else or doesn't anyone know?...names people, names...focus here!

jamesd1981

the only two ways i can think of without connecting in cables is with either a wireless adapter, or a small bluetooth adapter.

TFT

VIP Member
Bloody hell Da Mail Man, I thought you may have mellowed over the few years on this forum, you're just as cantankerous and definitely hard work. I don't think anyone has the answer you are looking for, only alternative ways.

Go put your feet up and take some happy pills. :p

Da Mail Man

the only two ways i can think of without connecting in cables is with either a wireless adapter, or a small bluetooth adapter.

...well, while i don't claim to know it all, i will say that your information is not correct, respectfully....

Status
Not open for further replies.