Need a decent HD or 4k Monitor unde £250

Sinth

Hi guys

first post so be gentle

I am on a lookout for a new monitor as my old samsung is dying on me now.

I need it for photography editing and a bit of gaming here and there.

Any recommendations

Thanks in advance

Sinth

Sinth

huh? im on about monitors

im not a pro photographer
just an amateur who does a bit of editing on lightroom

kdfresh09

if your into photo editing, and color accuracy is important to you, then try and be sure you get a screen that has 1.07 billion color depth, (not 16.7 million), and/or a 10bit panel, with a response time of no greater than 6ms for gaming. some will disagree with the 6ms part, but personaly , if you can stay at 6 or lower, you wont notice any input lag.

Geoff

VIP Member
You aren't going to find a 4k display for that price, even a quality 2560x1440 display would be tough. The important thing to look for is that it's an IPS display, not a standard LCD or LED backlit display.

Darren

Staff member
You aren't going to find a 4k display for that price, even a quality 2560x1440 display would be tough. The important thing to look for is that it's an IPS display, not a standard LCD or LED backlit display.

Coming from purely a gamer's perspective, is this really all that relevant? I'm sure it would be for photo-editing, but is the price jump worth it if you're strictly gaming? For my own curiosity, not so much OP's benefit.

I have this. http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P...30427068&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+24+inch+monitor

It looks great and I keep it scenery mode which really cranks up the color contrast and makes everything look more colorful, but also I'm guessing a lot less realistic for photos.

Geoff

VIP Member
Coming from purely a gamer's perspective, is this really all that relevant? I'm sure it would be for photo-editing, but is the price jump worth it if you're strictly gaming? For my own curiosity, not so much OP's benefit.

I have this. http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P...30427068&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+24+inch+monitor

It looks great and I keep it scenery mode which really cranks up the color contrast and makes everything look more colorful, but also I'm guessing a lot less realistic for photos.

I need it for photography editing and a bit of gaming here and there.
Sounds like it's primarily for photo editing, with a little bit of gaming. From a photo editing standpoint, it's very important to have a quality display that is calibrated.

The monitor you have is only 1080p. The OP originally wanted 4K, so I was mentioning a product between Full HD and 4K.

Darren

Staff member
Sounds like it's primarily for photo editing, with a little bit of gaming. From a photo editing standpoint, it's very important to have a quality display that is calibrated.

The monitor you have is only 1080p. The OP originally wanted 4K, so I was mentioning a product between Full HD and 4K.

I was asking specifically for gaming/my purposes, OP questions aside. You seemed to know what you're talking about and didn't want to bother with a whole thread about it.

Geoff

VIP Member
I was asking specifically for gaming/my purposes, OP questions aside. You seemed to know what you're talking about and didn't want to bother with a whole thread about it.
For gaming, an LED backlit monitor is fine. Low response times, high refresh rates such as 120Hz, and high resolution are more important. Monitors for photo editing unfortunately tend to have higher response times and are typically 60Hz.