Need a new Digital SLR Camera [AUS]

FATALiiTYz

Hey everybody, my Mum is wanting a new dslr camera but isn't sure which one as she doesnt have much knowledge about them. She mainly wants a camera for taking landscape and portrait photos, as well as photos in general. She also wants a good zoom and her budget is $1200. She has been looking at http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/browse.asp?idCategory=20&brand=2 but isn't really sure which one she wants. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Thanks again,

- Jeremy_442

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I would go with something midrange like a Nikon D3100, Canon XTI, Pentax KX, Sony A55, etc. Then spend the rest on lenses, and other accessories.

Fatback

VIP Member
Yeah you can't go wrong with a Canon. The kit lens is useful for a ton of things, I use mine all the time. She should defiantly get a 50mm f/1.8, its a must have lens. After that you should still have enough left for a decent Zoom, and maybe a bag for it all.

iurytx

a good starter kit would be the 550D with the 18-55, 50 f1.8, and a 55-250. Those three lenses can last you a while.

FATALiiTYz

My mum is also looking at the Canon 550D with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens, as it was highly rated in Choice magazine. Would this be better than getting the 50 f1.8 lens along with the 18-55mm lens that some come with?

Also, would somebody explain what the f3.5-5.6 IS lens means? (specifically the numbers after the f)

Thanks

Jeremy_442

Justin

VIP Member
getting the 18-135 over the 18-55 gives you more focal length coverage, which means you can zoom in closer. f3.5-5.6 is the maximum aperture (which is the amount of light the lens allows to reach the sensor. the smaller the number, the more light reaches the sensor) since the 50mm has a maximum aperture of f/1.8, it allows more light rather than the 18-135 if you have it set on 50mm because the maximum aperture on that lens is f/3.5 and that's at 18mm only, at 50mm the maximum aperture might be f/4.0 (i'm not sure as i don't have the lens.)

my suggestion is to get the 18-55mm and 50mm f/1.8 because majority of portrait photographers use a 50mm lens and having f/1.8 means you can blur out the background a lot giving more emphasis on your subject which is good for portraits.

FATALiiTYz

getting the 18-135 over the 18-55 gives you more focal length coverage, which means you can zoom in closer. f3.5-5.6 is the maximum aperture (which is the amount of light the lens allows to reach the sensor. the smaller the number, the more light reaches the sensor) since the 50mm has a maximum aperture of f/1.8, it allows more light rather than the 18-135 if you have it set on 50mm because the maximum aperture on that lens is f/3.5 and that's at 18mm only, at 50mm the maximum aperture might be f/4.0 (i'm not sure as i don't have the lens.)

my suggestion is to get the 18-55mm and 50mm f/1.8 because majority of portrait photographers use a 50mm lens and having f/1.8 means you can blur out the background a lot giving more emphasis on your subject which is good for portraits.

Alright, thanks. Also, we're looking at buying the Japanese (Kiss) version of the 550D because it is alot cheaper but will Australian 50mm f1.8 lens work?

flanker

I would get the new Canon 60D it's a great DSLR. and the price is within the range you wanted to be near.:)

sunnysid3up

oh god... these suggestions....

dont get a rebel series from canon or any of the low end nikons if you have $1200.

you can find a use Canon 5D (full frame) for $900. best camera for the money in my opinion.

if you are buying new i would recommend a 60D for $1099.

and you can buy lens depending on what you need, i dont like usinig the kit lens :p