Need a new DVD Burner, help with recommendations please!

Ryu Hitokiri

I'm looking for one that burns every type of CD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD+RW DL, DVD-RW DL, and DVD-Rom that also has LightScribe. I really don't know what brand to buy and was wondering what you guys suggest.

Also I have some other questions,

-Clarification: DVD±R Burners only burn DVD±R, DVD±RW Burners burn DVD±R and DVD±RW, right?
-If the DVD Burner can burn DVD-9, can it also burn DVD-10 and DVD-18?

Can someone please clear up these DVD terms please?

brian

VIP Member
i am think all burners theis days can do all dvd but it will be hard for litescribe. (not hard but not too cheep)

heyman421

banned
LG and NEC make pretty much all of them anymore

Lite-on, BENQ and plextor don't even make their own drives anymore.

They're all the same. The only thing that varies is the firmware.

Viking

LG and NEC make pretty much all of them anymore

Lite-on, BENQ and plextor don't even make their own drives anymore.

They're all the same. The only thing that varies is the firmware

LG is good and so is NEC. I would stay away from lite on . Benq once was good. I bought one that was a rebrand that would not even burn CDs correctly. Maybe there newer ones are good.

Do you need IDE or SATA. I just bought an LG SATA drive, i just checked they are out of the model I bought, THEY STILL HAVE THE OTHER SATA MODEL .There were originally 2 models,,.it was only $30.... 4 years ago you could not even get a plain cdrm drive for that.
Here is LG's line up. I have 3 LG's and one NEC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...000100005+50001623+1036506653&name=DVD+Burner

Last edited:

Ryu Hitokiri

What's better? I'm guessing SATA? Are newer computer's being made with SATA or IDE Optical Drives? If I'm buying a new drive, what should I get if I want the newer technology, I don't want what I just bought to phase out.

Last edited:

Viking

Does your computer support SATA ?

Most if not all new mainboards that have SATA also have at least one IDE channel if not 2. I like the sata for the fact it gets rid of the flat grey cable. Come on, ALL the drives are around $30. It's not like they are $200 or something. If you want to wait for the next latest,, why not just buy nothing now and wait a year or 2 till blue ray super multi dvd burners are out. Live , splurge get a dvd burner if you want one.:) IDE is not going anyware anytime soon.