Need a new mobo, need help

Kuli24

Hey, I have a Lanparty Ultra-D motherboard and I need to upgrade because my Opteron 146 @ 2.7ghz just isn't up to par with Colin McRae Dirt, and none of the new processors will work with this motherboard.
Basically,
-I have around $400 to spend
-I need a new motherboard
-I need a new core2duo processor that can overclock well
-I probably want/need ram too because mine's old 400mhz kingston valuram

What should I get?
Thanks a ton,
Jeff

maxmad

well i wouldnt get a AsRock mobo they are shite!!!!!!! ive had loads of problems with mine and so has my brother

jopa

The four brands I have experience with are Asus, ABit, ECS, and Biostar. The ECS died prematurely. The Biostar worked pretty well, but I'm not positive. There were some small things that could have just been software conflicts.
The ASUS and ABit are great!
Most brands are probably good, so I usually just find the stuff I want at a decent price.

xtreampcrepair

If you really want to go cheap you can get a intel pen d 805 smithfield
I read alot about them but i prefer amd I see you were gonna go intel so I figured I'd mention this a friend has his at 3.6ghz with stock cooler its a dual core 2.66 and has been proven stable at 4ghz I think these an article on tomshardware about it but figure a good board cpu cooler and this chip will only cost like 160.00 which leaves plenty for what ever else you want or step into a amd 64 x2 of your choice 6000 to 3800 runs like 150 to 65.00 ( guessing the prices not looking them up at this moment but close to that and proces are going down too)