Need a nice set for under $150.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
spacedude89 said:
tried them all and IMMEDIATLY noticed the altec lansing MX-5021 were WAY better. if there is a computer store near you. go check them out!

I have not tryed those speakers so I cant speak for sound quility. I did have ever find the stats and I know for sure the z2300's can get alot louder then the MX-5021. Also the subwoofer looks nicer on the z2300's.

2 20 watt speakers
1 50 watt subwoffer

VS

Z2300

2 40 watt speakers
1 120 watt subwoofer.

The z2300 definally got a lot more power

From the prices I seen the z2300 is acturally a tiny bit cheaper on top of all that.

Last edited:

icurays1

i assure you - the z2300 can (and will) kill you. im not kidding. the power is just...you know. ridiculous. oh and about going to a big 'ol warehouse-style computer store and testing out speakers - it doesnt mean JACK. they arnt hooked up to the same equipment as yours, they are hardly ever set up correctly, and they sure as hell are not in the same type room that you will be in. unless you live in a cave. or a giant store with 40 foot ceilings.

if you narrow it down to like...2...you could always buy them both, take em home, do a side-by-side, and take back the ones you dont like. (given the store has no re-stock fee)

enjoy!

So Low it Hz

so basically, i don't need surround sound, i do need high SQ at high DB's. (note: nothing like ridiculous car audio, but good.) this is going in my dorm room, my desk it set up so it amplifies bass VERY well, so i'm not so concerned with filling a room with bass since it'll be under my desk and the top of my desk is closed in on 5 of 6 sides.

I don't need surround but again, if it's gonna kick major ass it might be worth calling in a bday present.

Thanks for all the replies.

Also, if i get the Altec Lansings or any other 2.1 setup, would i need the audigy zs2 to get a nice, smooth, high SQ sound? Thanks.

Beyond

yes..

read this:

"With all processing options off, a flat EQ and everything set to default, the X-Fi does indeed trump its predecessor in straight-up audio playback. We wouldn't call it a night-and-day difference, though even at its most basic the card would be worth the upgrade for audiophiles. The X-Fi is less boomy than the Audigy 4 Pro, providing cleaner and tighter bass that lets the mid-range shine through a little more. The high-end is also a fair bit cleaner because of this, and the audio on a whole sounds clearer on the X-Fi than the Audigy 4 Pro."

^that's comparing a new card creative just came out with to one of the older ones (they haven't made anything using the x-fi technology that would work with your laptop yet, so you'd have to get one of the older cards. i haven't heard the difference between my card (audigy 2 zs) and the x-fi, but i can tell you mine does sound good with my speakers..)

"It's very hard to express just how good the card can sound with all its bells and whistles running, but to quote our own ears-on at this year's E3, "Before switching on the Crystalizer, the audio would sound perfectly fine, seeming to contain nice bass and clear highs. Switching on the Crystalizer was like pulling out a set earplugs that had been dampening our ability to hear correctly." Though testing an audio system at E3 with all its noise and hooplah is certainly not ideal, and thusly we were a tad hesitant after our listen at E3 to claim that what we'd heard was actually that good, we can now confidently say that, yes, the card is that good."

both quotes from this link: http://gear.ign.com/articles/644/644186p1.html

that should tell you how much of a difference a sound card can make...

Beyond

So Low it Hz said:
okay, just got some money, how about an audigy zs 2 connected to the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1's??

perfect. where'd you get the idea for the promedia ultra 5.1's?

Beyond

So Low it Hz said:
saw them on ebay. Plus, i remember hearing the name klipsch.

So i think i'll get those aaand an audigy zs 2 and call it a day.

nice.. i have a friend who has a setup similar to what you're getting. only thing is his satellites have entirely too much bass... i don't think he knows how to work the crossover. with some tweaking that i'm sure you know how to do it should sound great. let us know how everything turns out :)

So Low it Hz

What's the difference between the Logitech z5500 and the klipsch ultra 5.1's? Has anyone heard both? The availability of new klipschs on ebay is making me want to get the logitechs.

Beyond

So Low it Hz said:
What's the difference between the Logitech z5500 and the klipsch ultra 5.1's? Has anyone heard both? The availability of new klipschs on ebay is making me want to get the logitechs.

i'd get the logitechs, but that's just me. i've heard two of the older generations of both systems, and i prefer the sound of the logitechs.

So Low it Hz

oh, yeah i got the logitechs... they should be here tomorrow :D

now i just need to reinstall windows because my computer has a shitty ass virus :mad:

oh well, it's still gonna rule

mega10169

So Low it Hz said:
oh, yeah i got the logitechs... they should be here tomorrow :D

now i just need to reinstall windows because my computer has a shitty ass virus :mad:

oh well, it's still gonna rule
Remember, don't be afraid to turn those Logitechs up all the way, they are meant to do that as well as staying distortion free at max volume. You'll probably shake your whole desk apart with that sub and blow your eardrums with the sats.