Need A Pro To Build Me A Cheap Comp

Noobie21

Hey I have been very indecisive about buying a comp. I'm 14 and we already have a dell wit

P4 2.0Ghz
40 Gb HDD
256 RAM
CD, Floppy, Zip
Radeon 9200 128 Mb Card

I would like my own comp for my room theProblem is I just bought the new graphic's card and I am on about as low as a budget as possible like max 400 bucks. I want to have a decent gaming comp. Is there anyone out there with the skill to make me a good gaming comp for under 400? Or is this just to low of a budget for a good gaming comp?

SlothX311

if you need a monitor its gonna be hard, were talking like 40 gig max, 1.8 ghz duron, 512 pc 3200, cheap case with power supply, 17" monitor, and like keyboard mouse combo, itl be really hard if you need a monitor, just let us know like the exacts on brands or whatever, like if you prefer amd over intel....any prefs?

Noobie21

no monitor needed just strieght up tower wit stuff in it. I prefer intel and I already have a Radeon 9200 graphic's card

double-dragon

I could probably do it but I really don't live close enough to you.
You can re-use most of your stuff out of your Dell.

SlothX311

yeah newbie where you from, like do you need someone to actually build it?....ill do it but like i need to know where your from :p

oh yeah about the intel, well like intel are basically double the price of a good amd, so idk if anyone could pull it off for 400 bucks, unless you want a celeron, but like a 1.8 duron would so take a P4 2.8 Ghz, anyday, hands down....

Echo_

cheap amd> intel esp for gaming

i say build him an amd xp system with 512 value ram cheap nforce 2 mobo 40 gig hd 1 dvd rw burner

Lax

VIP Member
SlothX311 said:
a 1.8 duron would so take a P4 2.8 Ghz, anyday, hands down....
Debatable. Even though I am slowly leaning towards AMD myself a 1.8Ghz duron would be no match for a 2.8Ghz P4

You can save money by just buying a CD drive, 512Mb of ValueRam (Kingston) and a plain case, you don't need all this flashy crap and newest tech to play the games you want to play. My old 1.6Ghz P4 (Socket 423) could play UT2K4 just fine.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would like my own comp for my room theProblem is I just bought the new graphic's card and I am on about as low as a budget as possible like max 400 bucks. I want to have a decent gaming comp. Is there anyone out there with the skill to make me a good gaming comp for under 400? Or is this just to low of a budget for a good gaming comp?
What video card do you have exactly? What are your performance expectations? :)

For a $400 budget id stick to upgrading bits and pieces for the Dell and/or holding out till you have more money. Alternatively you can get a Sempron 3100 system ....

My old 1.6Ghz P4 (Socket 423) could play UT2K4 just fine.
THat's a testimate to the efficiency and brilliance of the UT2k4 engine and their programmers though.

Echo_

ya that prob would be best upgrade ram and vid card you could get a 6600 gt and get like 1 gig of ram but i think dell uses sd ram? or ddr2 on their newer systems

Lax

VIP Member
Echo_ said:
ya that prob would be best upgrade ram and vid card you could get a 6600 gt and get like 1 gig of ram but i think dell uses sd ram? or ddr2 on their newer systems
Some newer ones still use RDRAM.

And I also love my 1.6Ghz P4, the boards however are a bit harder to find (mine popped 5 caps) and when you do find them they are ridiculously expensive. and it did run 2k4, just on really lowered settings.

Noobie21

Hey guys srry bout no posting responses but I was gone for a day and a half. As for the comp it will be used for games life half-life 2 and such and do u know if windows xp could fixt in the budget or no way?. I just got a Radeon 9200 128mb graphic's card. It should do the job. As for where I live ; Conneticut. So The reason I want sum 1 to build be a comp is kuss I'm not computer savy about the parts and how to build em. All I learned to do is put in memory and graphic's cards. Secondly I have 400 bucks and 2 old graphic's cards if those count for anything (Radeon 7200) (Gefore 3 with winfast and heatsink I think:)) So yea if you got any more detailed questions if ur seriously considering it pm me k peace!

SlothX311

Noobie21 said:
.....do u know if windows xp could fixt in the budget or no way?. I just got a Radeon 9200 128mb graphic's card. It should do the job. As for where I live ; Conneticut. So The reason I want sum 1 to build be a comp is kuss I'm not computer savy about the parts and how to build em.....

about the computer, ill build it for you, or i could just put together a really detailed, item specific, tutorial, which you could follow and put together yourself, its really not that hard, just looks complex, seriously i can build a pc in like 30 min, its really quite easy.....IM me sumtime and we'll figure this out

Lax

VIP Member
SlothX311 said:
RD RAM = expensive as hell
256 of RD costs more than like a gig of DDR :p
Trust me I service computers for a living. The dells we get usually have RDRAM and not DDR. And there's no way a dell computer would ever use DDR2. Except maybe the XPS.

Yeti

VIP Member
Lord AnthraX said:
And there's no way a dell computer would ever use DDR2. Except maybe the XPS.

Actually I believe the new 4000 and 8000 series Dells use DDR2