Need A Pro To Build Me A Cheap Comp

Lax

VIP Member
Echo_ said:
ya that prob would be best upgrade ram and vid card you could get a 6600 gt and get like 1 gig of ram but i think dell uses sd ram? or ddr2 on their newer systems
Sorry, different person.

Yeti said:
Actually I believe the new 4000 and 8000 series Dells use DDR2

Wow, they do. That's sort of amazing to see dell using "new" parts. Now all they need to do is make a system using brand names.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
As for the comp it will be used for games life half-life 2 and such and do u know if windows xp could fixt in the budget or no way?.
You want a Halflife 2 capable computer + WindowsXP for 400??

Wow, they do. That's sort of amazing to see dell using "new" parts. Now all they need to do is make a system using brand names.
1. they do
2. they do

SlothX311

Praetor said:

lol you dont have to actually pay for Windows XP :p.........so for just about 400 bucks you can make a Half Life 2 playable computer....he doesnt need a monitor keyboard, or mouse, so it should be close

Lax

VIP Member
Praetor said:

Technically you could get a PIII 64Mb Gfx 256Mb ram computer to run HL2, it just wouldn't be the prettiest thing on in the world.

SlothX311

lol the idea is to make him a computer that will run HL2 with decent settings :p

400 bucks could get him....

AMD 2800+
512 PC 3200
Mobo w/ onboard everything but video
Geforce FX 5700
80 gig Western Digital w/ 8mb cache
CD ROM
Case w/ power supply

*he has monitor, keyboard, and mouse so that trims the total cost a bit

double-dragon

Yeah, discuss those kinda things on PM only, guys. Don't wanna get this place shut down...my best source of info bout...erm...everything, lol :p

tomprice43

Lord AnthraX said:
Debatable. Even though I am slowly leaning towards AMD myself a 1.8Ghz duron would be no match for a 2.8Ghz P4

You can save money by just buying a CD drive, 512Mb of ValueRam (Kingston) and a plain case, you don't need all this flashy crap and newest tech to play the games you want to play. My old 1.6Ghz P4 (Socket 423) could play UT2K4 just fine.

1.8 duron could easily match 2.8 P4 in games, maybe not for multitasking and encodeing.