Need a quick opinion

MacDaddy

Processor:
AMD Phenom 9750+ Quad Core Socket AM2+ CPU
CPU Fan: AMD Heavy Duty Cooling Fan With Heat Sink
Motherboard: PC CHIPS A15G (up to 9700+)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 667 PC5300 RAM
Video: nVidia nForce 6100 PCI Express onboard video
Hard drive: 320GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB Cache
CD/DVD drive: 20x DVD +RW/-RW drive (DVD-burner drive)
Sound: ALC883 High Definition Audio
Network: 10/100 RJ45 onboard network (Ethernet, cable or DSL)
Ports: Six USB 2.0 ports,1 serial, 1 parallel, 1 microphone jack
Case: Black Neon Mid Tower with front USB ports and Side Window
Keyboard: Black PS2 Windows Keyboard
Mouse: Black PS2 Scroll Mouse
Speakers: Black Multimedia stereo speakers
Software:

All driver disks and manuals are included.
DVD-RW software also included.
Windows is installed for testing purposes only
and then removed prior to shipping.
System comes ready to load any OS (Win 2000, XP or Vista)

This system is on ebay for $429...how is this for a deal? Was also thinking of upgrading to a GeForce 9400 GT 1 GB vid card for $69 more dollars...is this a good deal, the seller looks reputable...

MacDaddy

AMD Quad vs. Intel Core 2 Duo? I know one is quad, but i've heard stories that some people prefer the Duo? Any truth?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
AMD Quad vs. Intel Core 2 Duo? I know one is quad, but i've heard stories that some people prefer the Duo? Any truth?
Dualies used to be preferred for gaming because most games were optimized for dual-cores, but now that quads are taking over games are becoming more and more multicore optimized so you can pick up a quad-core system without worrying about a thing.

What's the computer going to be used for? I wouldn't upgrade to the 9400GT, the onboard is good enough for basic stuff and if you're gaming, something significantly better is a must - NVIDIA 9600 and Radeon HD4670 is about as low as you can go if you plan on any gaming, I'd recommend something like 9800-series (GT, GTX, GTX+) from NVIDA or even GTX260, or Radeon 4850/4870. If you ain't gaming, that's a solid computer right there.

Core2Deano

Yeah.. not sure about the processor. Get a core2duo for games. The Video card is disgraceful as is.. and the 9400 is complete garbage (anyone disagree?) go ahead and get an 8800GTX if money is a problem, if not grab a 9800GTX or even GTX295 if you happen to be in the money-tree growing industry. The RAM aint so hot (667Mhz) but is easy and cheap to replace. Other than that.. your getting a Motherboard, case and more so go for it. Just consider upgrading some parts imo. Try to knock the guy down to an even $400?

Good luck, Cheers