Need a router suggestion > or = to 75 Mbps

Sdot

I currently have a WRT54G router, but it looks like it caps at 54 Mbps. I have had this for a very long time and only had a 3Mbps connection from Verizon.

Now I have 75 Mbps down/10 up and need a cheap router that will give me all of the speed I pay for.

Do you fellas and ladies have any suggestions?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Are you connected via wireless? If you are using an ethernet cable the speed is on your wrt54g is 100Mbit.

If you need wireless any 802.11n router should be fast enough, they range from 54Mbit to 600Mbit, with most being at least 150Mbit.

Sdot

Are you connected via wireless? If you are using an ethernet cable the speed is on your wrt54g is 100Mbit.

If you need wireless any 802.11n router should be fast enough, they range from 54Mbit to 600Mbit, with most being at least 150Mbit.

Are you sure? When i ran speedtest.net while directly connected to my modem I was getting my full 75Mbps, but through the router I was getting like 40-50, which led me to believe the router i'm using is capped.

I use wired and wireless.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If using a wired connection with your router you will get a full 100 mbit speed. If using wifi then yes, your speed will be max of 54mb. You will need a wireless N router in order to get 75mb speed.

Sdot

If using a wired connection with your router you will get a full 100 mbit speed. If using wifi then yes, your speed will be max of 54mb. You will need a wireless N router in order to get 75mb speed.

How come my wired connection suffers when using the router then? I have went back and forth testing it and when direct connected I get the full 75 but when it has to go through the router I get 40-50 down on speed test?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Physically, it's a 10/100 on all ports that shouldn't be a problem. As John said a firmware update may help but it could be the processing power on the router especially if it's an older model with multiple clients attached.

Sdot

Firmware Version: v1.02.5 build 002, Jan. 9, 2008

Above is what it says is my firmware so this very well might be the case. If I upgrade the firmware will my other stuff be reset?

edit: on linksys.com right now looking for the latest official firmware update.

Last edited:

Sdot

v1.02.8 build 001, Oct. 5, 2009

Installed that and its the latest. It was definitely worth a shot but I'm still getting the same speeds. So look like I am gonna need a new router if I want the full speeds.

Just looking for a cheap one with wifi and at least 4 ethernet ports on the back, you guys know of any?

I Appreciate the help guys.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The GL is a linux based router. Easily upgradeable to DD-wrt firmware. Like I said before, the router you have is kind of old. Have you tried using a different port on the router to see if maybe its just a bad port?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably a processor problem then, slower routers often can have trouble with the high end data rates.

If you're looking at a new one, argueably one of the better ones sub $100 is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038
I've got it running DDWRT and I've got no complaints.

You could try installing DDWRT or some other firmware that lets you overclock your existing router and that might get you up to speed but you'll likely have to fiddle around to find a supported speed that works for you, 250MHz is the max it'll let you go.

Sdot

It's probably a processor problem then, slower routers often can have trouble with the high end data rates.

If you're looking at a new one, argueably one of the better ones sub $100 is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038
I've got it running DDWRT and I've got no complaints.

You could try installing DDWRT or some other firmware that lets you overclock your existing router and that might get you up to speed but you'll likely have to fiddle around to find a supported speed that works for you, 250MHz is the max it'll let you go.

I'll give it a try. This router doesn't look bad, I can't see if there are any Ethernet ports on the back though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it has 4 ports on the back.

images