need a school laptop

ReMiXeDg

need a school laptop for my sister. something where she can do her assignments and watch youtube videos , and to browse the internet.

Our budget is around $300 flat prob shipped to.

thanks a lot have a great night

Agent Smith

Go to ebay and find a Dell Precision M6300. I'm using one now. I can watch YouTube videos just fine. It's just my Internet computer, although I have Simcity 4, Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour and a Mario emulator installed. I just bought this bare bones. Added a SSD and bought 4 GB of RAM and the power adapter.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'd look at a Chromebook. Perfect for word processing and general internet use, and the battery life is fantastic.

beers

Staff member
It might depend on her program and assignments. If you need any sort of software installed, a Chromebook won't be able to facilitate her uses.

Other than that I'd +1 a chromebook, you can do most productivity stuff on Google Docs, and anything that you can do in the Chrome browser you can do on the Chromebook.

ANNR

I have this laptop, it is 4 month old. I installed windows 7 on the laptop so it does not have windows 8.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&tag=viglink21621-20

I have upgraded the hard drive to a 80gb intel ssd. The laptop still looks like new. I have upgraded to an ultrabook and was looking to sell my asus laptop.

If you want I will sell you the laptop for 300 dollars shipped. Its a good laptop for everyday use just not for gaming. Its a good deal for both of us.

The laptop has instant resume meaning, when you close the laptop after use, it will turn on within 1 second when the laptop is opened.

Also i have Microsoft office 2013 installed, I will not uninstall it if your sister need it since I can't install it on another computer anyway.

only one thing though my son took out the right shift key and i can't find it anymore.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
I would recommend having the person try to survive in a the chrome web browser only for a month and if they can then it is a good fit. Half the battle there is getting people to finding their alternatives.

Your sister can get the requirements from her school, I had a friend who went to UOP and was not able to view the assignment PDF's as they needed a login to unlock which as per the school requirements would only work with Adobe Reader. A chromebook in this scenario is a bad idea.

Last edited: