Need a server for business - need help

Jiniix

My dad needs a server for his business. He would like 32GB of "as fast as possible" RAM (he's not a hardware dude, just software) and an 8 core/thread CPU (He has an [email protected] in his work PC, and he says it would be fine)
He has this rack-type for the networking, and he asked if the server could be installed here.

rt1GfbBD.jpg

I've only ever configured normal 1/2U long servers, like this;
GT24B3992.gif

where all of the hardware I needed was right in front of me, with a description of how the RAID should be set up etc. (at my work)

Is it possible to get a server that would fit in the rack?
Would it be much more expensive than buying Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3, 32GB RAM (possibly/preferred ECC) and ASUS P9D WS - and using already owned Coolermaster SilentPro 1000W Bronze/600W Gold, Fractal Design XL w/ Corsair AF fans and Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo?

Last edited:

DaveSi677

Holy mother of cabling!!!!!!!!!!! Man that needs a clean up!!!!!

I'm not sure a 1u you would be able to fit in there... They are pretty long and you would maybe not be able to close the door. Also how much air cooling does that rack see?

Spec on a 1u is basically want you want you get... I would also suggest looking for a used server as you can save quite a few $$$.

Jiniix

I'm not going to touch those cables :D It's working, and that's how it looked when my dad bought the business.
Also buying used stuff here in Denmark isn't that good of an idea. I see why it works in bigger countries, but we have around 6.5M people here and probably only 10.000 who knows what a server is :D It's a business that has to buy it, so I'm not sure of the rules when buying used items.

Last edited:

DaveSi677

Ok I understand.

I really like the HP Proliant stuff it was very solid!

How will you being storing you information?

Jiniix

I'm not sure actually. But it's not a lot of storage that's needed. Just a website really.
I'm thinking an enterprise drive from Western Digital at around 1TB would be plenty.
The HP Proliant is very nice quality indeed. I configure a few of them each week, but they're expensive!
I worked on some towers, and based on the specs I guessed the cost were ~4000 DKK ($730), but they were 5555 DKK ($1010) without danish sales tax (25% = $1260), which is just insane.