Need a TV Tuner!

Drunkship

I've been reading all the reviews on NewEgg for TV tuners, but I can't seem to find one that sounds good to me.

It has to be around $100 or less and be Vista compatible. I'm trying to use my PC to watch cable TV (I'll be in a dorm, so I'll save money by not buying a TV) and play Xbox 360.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Bill

(P.S. I figured this would go in the video card section, but if it doesn't feel free to move it mods.)

PC eye

banned
We're both in the same boat that way. I've been using tuner and video capture cards from AVerMedia for several years now. For the 1500 model in use they never came out with a software patch for Ultra tv while seeing a tuner driver only. A new Vista ready card is being sought for a new build in progress as well. You can look over Haugepauge and a few others meanwhile to see if any are ready for the new version?

footballstevo75

I am about to order the Haugepauge 500. It is like TIVO, it has 2 tv tuners build in so you can watch and record, or record 2 shows at once...

daffyracers03

I am about to order the Haugepauge 500. It is like TIVO, it has 2 tv tuners build in so you can watch and record, or record 2 shows at once...

HAHA thats crazy I just ordered mine earlier this week, can't wait to get it. I ordered the Haugepauge 500 with MCE remote package from tigerdirect. Hope its Vista-Ready. Will let you know with an update.

PC eye

banned
"Vista ready" is the key word people! Having just installed an XP MCE edition version of software for a new tuner card in December no go with Vista! The company so far has only released a driver for the card but no software patch for the new version. (Fortunate is the XP primary here! whew!)

daffyracers03

"Vista ready" is the key word people! Having just installed an XP MCE edition version of software for a new tuner card in December no go with Vista! The company so far has only released a driver for the card but no software patch for the new version. (Fortunate is the XP primary here! whew!)

which company are you talking about and for what tv tuner card exactly?

leetkyle

I am using a WinTV PVR-350 (and have used a 250) on Vista. Works with the Hauppauge application (WinTV-2000) and also you can download drivers to allow it to work through Media Center. I love it!

PC eye

banned
I've been waiting to see if AverMedia decides to finally come out with one where the Ultra TV app will run on Vista as well as XP. The video capturing requires a newer version of Cyberlink's software for PowerDirector and PowerProducer.

The tuner driver for Media Center in Vista is out but no patches for the Ultra TV where you can max the display out to full screen for live viewing. For the new build here I have to plan one that is Vista ready however.

what i would suggest is going to ebay or a pawn shop and buy a combo tv/ computer monitor... i got a HDTV Dell 19" widescreen tv/monitor for around $300... u just need to know where to shop

Drunkship

Well I'm looking for a 22" widescreen monitor. 22" HDTVs are a tad more expensive. I'm already going to be over budget by about $600, haha.

PC eye

banned
The 22" and 24" models alike see big tags depending where you go. HD tvs will soon be very much the standard in 2009. You can expect that some prices will have to come down somewhat by that time.

PC eye

banned
For a little more there's one better ATI model among two others for less seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047+50001126&name=ATI

The best of those three models states being Vista ready. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815294001 I haven't heard any real complaints on either the one you picked at amazon or newegg. Currently I'm still waiting to find a video capture/tuner card that is also Vista ready. That model shows Operating Systems: Windows XP, 2000, Me, 98/98SE in the specifications link. You simply look at the requirements to see what it shows there.

PC eye

banned
I've been using AverMedia's Ultra tv for some time now on three different models they had out including the one now used that is tuner card used for live video and captures. The actual capture card that the software came with never worked! The tuner card has shown itself better then the older model capture cards used on the older builds here. Ultra tv for Vista? still not yet.

PC eye

banned
That was the model seen at the link posted earlier that offered Vista support. The software for ATI tuner card shouldn't interfere since that is not a graphics card with a tuner included but a separate and different type of device.