Need Advice About Custom PC Specs

Call Me Al

Hey everyone,
I've never got to make a customized gaming PC by my own, and now I have the money to build one(budget is around 800$~1000$).
I'm new to this subject, so I would like to hear your opinions about the computer I'm about to build.
The specs are:
CPU:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core*
Motherboard: ASUS Z-170
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB(1x8) - DDR4
Storage: Western Digital Caviar 1TB (Too poor for SSD)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600M 600W
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
*Not sure if I need CPU Cooler too, I've also had a dilemma if the I5-4670K is better.

Please tell me your thoughts about this build, Any opinion will be gladly accepted!
Thanks for your help,
Al.
P.S: I'm new to this site, forgive me if this thread is in the wrong section. :)

Last edited:

Agent Smith

It looks good, but your case is MicroATX and the motherboard is ATX so it won't fit in the case. Find a case that is ATX. Yes, you will need a CPU cooler. A popular one is the Cooler Master Evo 212 and it's pretty cheap.

Oh! Your PSU I think is over kill. You could get by on 500 watts. And I would stick with the i5 6600K.

You could get a small 128 GB SSD for the OS and a few games for speed and use the platter for other games, programs, music, videos, etc. I use my platter for downloads as well. Just change that in your browser where downloads are downloaded to. That way you don't fill up the SSD and increase wear and tear.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Oh! Your PSU I think is over kill. You could get by on 500 watts. And I would stick with the i5 6600K.

You could get a small 128 GB SSD for the OS and a few games for speed and use the platter for other games, programs, music, videos, etc. I use my platter for downloads as well. Just change that in your browser where downloads are downloaded to. That way you don't fill up the SSD and increase wear and tear.
Thanks for your answer.
Can you Explain what should i do with the PSU? What PSU Would you reccomend me to buy?
And about the 128GB SSD, is it possible to synchronize what will run on the SSD and what will run on the normal drive?

Agent Smith

Can you Explain what should i do with the PSU? What PSU Would you reccomend me to buy?

Some good brands are Antec, EVGA, Corsair, FSP. Here's one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371087

And about the 128GB SSD, is it possible to synchronize what will run on the SSD and what will run on the normal drive?

What do you mean by synchronize?

You would have two hard drives (HDD) One is the SSD and the other is your platter. In this case the Western Digital 1TB.

You would install Windows on the SSD and anything you want to run fast like a game. The 1TB Western Digital platter would be for other programs, games, your music, your downloads, videos, etc. The point is to keep things you want to run fast and need fast read/write speed on the SSD.

Make sure that when you install Windows to the SSD as the boot drive you don't have the Western Digital platter connected at the same time. Sometimes the boot loader can end up on the second hard drive. So just connect the SSD first, install Windows and once that is done connect the platter. Make sure AHCI is on first in BIOS before you install Windows. Then turn off defraging in Windows ( I think Win 10 does this automatically if it discovers a SSD) and use the ASSSD software to verify the SSD is aligned. It should be if you format the SSD with Windows on install.

spirit

Staff member
I agree that an SSD is pretty much a 'must-have' in this day and age. 128GB can be a bit small and for the price, 250GB or 256GB is a good deal these days. As explained above, you'd put Windows and programs on the SSD and games and files on the HDD. Try and make the money to get at least 128GB.

Don't get the i5 4670K now. If you bought one when it was new in 2013 or 2014 or whenever then there's no real reason to upgrade unless you need to utilise the extra threads of an i7, but in 2016 it seems daft to buy a CPU that's 2-3 years old when the i5 6600K is available and has support for DDR4 RAM. Eventually, DDR3 will dwindle away just like DDR2 did.

Your setup will quite happily run on a 500W PSU, you could get a good quality 500W unit like the CX500M from Corsair, but if 600W isn't much more then I'd go for it.

Tommo4523

I agree that an SSD is pretty much a 'must-have' in this day and age. 128GB can be a bit small and for the price, 250GB or 256GB is a good deal these days. As explained above, you'd put Windows and programs on the SSD and games and files on the HDD. Try and make the money to get at least 128GB.

Don't get the i5 4670K now. If you bought one when it was new in 2013 or 2014 or whenever then there's no real reason to upgrade unless you need to utilise the extra threads of an i7, but in 2016 it seems daft to buy a CPU that's 2-3 years old when the i5 6600K is available and has support for DDR4 RAM. Eventually, DDR3 will dwindle away just like DDR2 did.

Your setup will quite happily run on a 500W PSU, you could get a good quality 500W unit like the CX500M from Corsair, but if 600W isn't much more then I'd go for it.
I agree I have a 128 gb SSD and it's way too small even a 512gb would be ideal

Call Me Al

I agree that an SSD is pretty much a 'must-have' in this day and age. 128GB can be a bit small and for the price, 250GB or 256GB is a good deal these days.
Thank you for your help, I've added 120GB SSD on the list too.

Alright. My new PSU is 550W, Antec EA550.
Is that good enough? What do you think? Also, Thank you for your help!

spirit

Staff member
Thank you for your help, I've added 120GB SSD on the list too.

Alright. My new PSU is 550W, Antec EA550.
Is that good enough? What do you think? Also, Thank you for your help!
Yes the PSU should be quite alright.

SSD wise, I recommend the Samsung 850 Evo.