Need Advice/Help with my New Build Specs... ($2500-$3000 budget)

Chameleon

Hey everyone,

So I just happened upon this forum, and it seems like this would be a great place to get some help with my new build. Years ago, I used to build my own PCs, but I've lost the drive to do so, so I've always had a friend help me with picking the best parts, and then building it for me. However, he's not around this time to help... so I thought I'd try and get some "experts" to help me out. ;-)

Basically, I have, as the title says, a pretty big budget for this new build. It's going to be used primarily for Gaming and Live Streaming as I game! No video rendering, but maybe some photo editing. As it stands, I only have some rough starting points, but am completely open to suggestions and any help you all might be willing to give me. My end goal for this post is to have all the parts picked so I can go and find the best prices for each of them. So here we go...

Here are my current IDEAS for a few of the specs...
=======================================
CASE::
Cooler Master HAF XM -- This case also has dust screens! (An absolute must!) -- (Newegg Price: $129.99)

CPU::
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $339.99)

Heatsink Options::
Open to suggestions!

MoBo Options::
1) ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 -- Recommended by friend -- (Newegg Price: $239.99)
2) ASUS Maximus V FORMULA -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $279.99)

RAM Options::
1) G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $114.99)
2) CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $119.99)

GPU Options::
1) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $409.99)
2) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4GB -- Suggestion from my own Research! -- (Newegg Price: $459.99)

SSD::
SAMSUNG 830 Series 256GB SATA III (SSD) -- Recommended by forum members here! -- (Newegg Price: $249.99)

PSU Options:
Open to suggestions -- As long as it's fully modular!
=======================================

Any and all suggestions are extremely appreciated... but if you have suggestions, I'd love to know WHY you suggest certain things. I'm not PC newb, but I'm just not fully up to speed with ALL of the latest and greatest, so I like to discuss the options, and why they would be the best... whether its because it's the best price point, or just simply the best part hands down, etc.

Thank to anyone who take the time to read my thread and help me out!

CHEERS!

NOTE:: I will EDIT this post and change the list of the current specs I'm looking at for this build, as I get recommendations and fine-tune this build to perfection! When I solidify I choice, I will say so!!

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Had a very quick look over your post, just a few things to add (I'll say more later but in a rush now sorry).

Firstly the CPU is overkill, if you want an i7 get a 3770K and overclock it. Not only is the 3770K cheaper than the 3820, it's also faster at stock clockspeeds and you can overclock with the 3770K much better than you can with the 3820. You'd need an LGA 1155 board for the 3770K, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or a UD5H would be great options. You'd need an aftermarket cooler if overclocking, I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - works fine with my 2500K oc'ed to 4.3!

1866MHz RAM is a waste of money, just go for 1600MHz and overclock it if you like. I have the same RAM as you want but running at 1648MHz, runs very nicely!

I'd go for a GTX 670 or a 680 over the 580. The 670 is usually faster than the 580 and the 680 is definitely faster. Both of those cards are newer and more power efficient too.

PSU wise a Corsair TX 750 would be a good unit to choose for this build even if it is overkill. That would be a good unit to choose for SLI too.

There's probably more I can point but I need to quickly go now, but I'll be back! :)

Chameleon

Had a very quick look over your post, just a few things to add (I'll say more later but in a rush now sorry).

Firstly the CPU is overkill, if you want an i7 get a 3770K and overclock it. Not only is the 3770K cheaper than the 3820, it's also faster at stock clockspeeds and you can overclock with the 3770K much better than you can with the 3820. You'd need an LGA 1155 board for the 3770K, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or a UD5H would be great options. You'd need an aftermarket cooler if overclocking, I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - works fine with my 2500K oc'ed to 4.3!

1866MHz RAM is a waste of money, just go for 1600MHz and overclock it if you like. I have the same RAM as you want but running at 1648MHz, runs very nicely!

I'd go for a GTX 670 or a 680 over the 580. The 670 is usually faster than the 580 and the 680 is definitely faster. Both of those cards are newer and more power efficient too.

PSU wise a Corsair TX 750 would be a good unit to choose for this build even if it is overkill. That would be a good unit to choose for SLI too.

There's probably more I can point but I need to quickly go now, but I'll be back! :)

I guess I should have added... I'm not an OC'er. I have never had much luck with OC'ing, and it always makes me worry. So I just don't. I like my PC to run FAST at stock!

But I DO appreciate the input... and will definitely consider it all!!!

Last edited:

Chameleon

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/517?vs=555
Self explanitory, but also compare 670/680 and the price diff.

Corsair AX and Seasonic X for thier gold rating and modularity. AX comes with ncer cables and they offer a single sleeve set altho pricey imo even for a large budget. 3rd party single sleeve cables are available for either brand.

Ok... two people recommending looking at the 670/680, as opposed to the 580... Looks like I shall be looking at these now instead! THANKS!!!

Jamebonds1

Here is tip. Intel i7 sanity-E isn't only for gaming but it is for program that take 6 core such as video and picture edit. If you do just for gaming, it is not fastest than LGA 1155 and is wasted of money. It is not really worth it. I would take look at hwbot.com if i were you. While at hwbot go to compare videocard or CPU. Then select any video card and CPU that you would plan and it will help you to finding right video card and CPU.

Here is this link for video card

http://www.hwbot.org/compare/videocards#1932_1,1913_1,1744_2,1913_2-29

...and CPU

http://www.hwbot.org/compare/processors#2493,2277,2471-3,7,14,15

spirit

Staff member
I guess I should have added... I'm not an OC'er. I have never had much luck with OC'ing, and it always makes me worry. So I just don't. I like my PC to run FAST at stock!

Well even at stock speeds the 3770K is faster and cheaper than a 3820. The LGA 1155 boards which the 3770K uses are cheaper than the LGA 2011 boards which the 3820 uses too.

See here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=523

Definitely get a 3770K and an LGA 1155 board such as the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Benny Boy

I'm not an OC'er. I have never had much luck with OC'ing, and it always makes me worry. So I just don't. I like my PC to run FAST at stock!
With these newer Intel/AMD cpu's it's very simple and they are designed to be oc'd. Consider it for a performance boost for down the road, and nice to know it's there if you want/need it.

Jamebonds1

Like vistakid and I say it is not worth to getting 3820 LGA 2011 since LGA 1155 kit is cheap and fastest.

Chameleon

Here is tip. Intel i7 sanity-E isn't only for gaming but it is for program that take 6 core such as video and picture edit. If you do just for gaming, it is not fastest than LGA 1155 and is wasted of money. It is not really worth it. I would take look at hwbot.com if i were you. While at hwbot go to compare videocard or CPU. Then select any video card and CPU that you would plan and it will help you to finding right video card and CPU.

Here is this link for video card

http://www.hwbot.org/compare/videocards#1932_1,1913_1,1744_2,1913_2-29

...and CPU

http://www.hwbot.org/compare/processors#2493,2277,2471-3,7,14,15

Well even at stock speeds the 3770K is faster and cheaper than a 3820. The LGA 1155 boards which the 3770K uses are cheaper than the LGA 2011 boards which the 3820 uses too.

See here http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=523

Definitely get a 3770K and an LGA 1155 board such as the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Ok, I understand why you are both stating to go with the LGA 1155 boards/cpus, but what about future upgrades? Wouldn't going LGA 2011 NOW put me in a better position in the future so I wouldn't necessarily have to upgrade both the MoBo & CPU?

Jamebonds1

Ok, I understand why you are both stating to go with the LGA 1155 boards/cpus, but what about future upgrades? Wouldn't going LGA 2011 NOW put me in a better position in the future so I wouldn't necessarily have to upgrade both the MoBo & CPU?

Chameleon. Have you every look at link I and vistakid posted?

spirit

Staff member
Wouldn't going LGA 2011 NOW put me in a better position in the future so I wouldn't necessarily have to upgrade both the MoBo & CPU?
No, not really. There's likely going to be a new 'high-end' Intel platform coming down the line and the chances are those new CPUs will use a new socket and everything, so no, I wouldn't say LGA 2011 is any more future-proof than LGA 1155 really.

I could be wrong of course, but 1155 is a great platform.

Chameleon

Chameleon. Have you every look at link I and vistakid posted?

Yeah, I'm looking at them... and you guys ARE convincing me. I was just simply asking the question, to better understand why NOT to go with 2011.

No, not really. There's likely going to be a new 'high-end' Intel platform coming down the line and the chances are those new CPUs will use a new socket and everything, so no, I wouldn't say LGA 2011 is any more future-proof than LGA 1155 really.

I could be wrong of course, but 1155 is a great platform.

So yeah, seeing these benchmarks, and what you are saying here... I'm convinced! Taking the 3820 off the list! :)

Hell... anything to save me some money, means I will have more in the end to possibly splurge on a bad ass new monitor! :D

Last edited:

Chameleon

With these newer Intel/AMD cpu's it's very simple and they are designed to be oc'd. Consider it for a performance boost for down the road, and nice to know it's there if you want/need it.

This is good to know also... and so I'll def. think about OC'ing as an option! Im sure I can get all the help I need from all your forum members! :D

Chameleon

Also Ivy chip have more clear wire than Santy Bridge which is why it is more fastest.

Yeah, I'm convinced... so would you guys absolutely recommend going with an i7-3770K? If so, I'll lock that in as the CPU I'll be going with.

Also, which of the two MoBos that were recommended would be BEST?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ??

Jamebonds1

Yeah, I'm convinced... so would you guys absolutely recommend going with an i7-3770K? If so, I'll lock that in as the CPU I'll be going with.

Also, which of the two MoBos that were recommended would be BEST?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ??

Yeah. We was recommended i7 3770K. Also what is different between UD3H and UD5H are number of SATA and audio. UD5H have EAX 5.0 and X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity, plus dual LAN. there are 8 SATA, one eSATA and firewire.

UD3H is cheap but have 6 SATA and two eSATA. Only one LAN. Audio is VIA 2021 and not great unless you want AMP sound card.

PS. DOn't plug keyboard and mouse into VIA port because it won't work. So be sure to put it in USB 2.0/3.0

Chameleon

Yeah, also need to talk about what would be the BEST ram for this build. What I put up on the list, was really just an initial recommendation from a friend. But I'd love to have some more input on what ram to do with... and why...

Thanks again!

Chameleon

Yeah. We was recommended i7 3770K. Also what is different between UD3H and UD5H are number of SATA and audio. UD5H have EAX 5.0 and X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity, plus dual LAN. there are 8 SATA, one eSATA and firewire.

UD3H is cheap but have 6 SATA and two eSATA. Only one LAN. Audio is VIA 2021 and not great unless you want AMP sound card.

PS. DOn't plug keyboard and mouse into VIA port because it won't work. So be sure to put it in USB 2.0/3.0

So it seems like UD5H would be the better option if I don't want a stand-alone sound card?

Benny Boy

So it seems like UD5H would be the better option if I don't want a stand-alone sound card?
The mb you choose will have a good sound card built in. Try it first even if you have high end speakers.

The UD5H also has better power distribution.

Last edited: