Need advice on Asus M32

Upgrade or buy new?

• Upgrade!

• Buy new $$$

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eric Webster

Hello. I'm interested in upgrading my computer to play more demanding games like Fallout 4 with mods and such. I don't have a great understanding of the harware side of computers and I don't know what to do or if it would even make sense to try to upgrade as oppose to just outright buying a new setup. I currently own an Asus M32 (AS M32BF 1C A106700/12G/1B/3 M32BF-CA0025)
AMD A10-6700 Processor
12GB DDR3 Memory
Integrated Graphics
1TB HDD

Any advice or any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Eric

beers

Staff member
What power supply does it have? How fast is the RAM?

A dedicated graphics card should help a lot, but requires a capable power supply. Beyond that you would be looking at a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You are looking at a gtx 1060 or rx470 at least with a better power supply. But beyond that you are probably looking at a new setup as beers said.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would need a new power supply. Download and run cpuz and then click on the spd tab and post a screenshot of it. That will tell us what ram and speed it is.

beers

Staff member
That RAM is pretty slow, also being mismatched (8+4 GB) will give you erratic behavior with the iGPU.

If you had a spare set of matched 2133 or higher laying around you'd see a reasonable bump in the integrated performance, but not worth spending money on when you can just get a video card & PSU instead.

Not as big of a deal when you use a dedicated GPU though. Best upgrade would be the PSU+GPU. The 1060 has 3 GB variants and 6 GB variants. You'd want the 6 GB version as it actually contains more CUDA cores for higher performance in addition to the higher amount of VRAM.

Eric Webster

I picked up a 600W PSU and a GTX1060 and installed them. Should I uninstall the original graphics drivers? As they are integrated I was unsure if this was necessary and I know motherboards need a type of driver so do processors need a driver of some sort as well?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to uninstall the integrated video drivers. They shouldn't interfere since a lot of machines have both. You really only need to uninstall old video drivers when you are replacing dedicate video cards.

You should already have the required drivers installed or nothing would work correctly. Just look in device manager to make there are no unknown devices or entries with yellow question marks/exclamation marks.

Eric Webster

I just wanted to give you guys an update everything is working beautifully and I'm a happy camper with my games.
In the future I'm interested in possibly doing some more upgrades. Thank you all so much for your help as this seemed very overwhelming and the geek squad guy at my local Worst Buy was about as helpful as a brick wall!