Need advice on buying a gaming computer

ninja007

I'm looking for advice from more knowledgable people than myself. I plan on buying a gamimg computer in the next couple of weeks. I play World Of Warcraft and my current computer is nothing special. I want a quality gamimg computer that will allow me to experience WOW at the highest level possible. My price range is roughly $2000 - $2500. I have a few questions:

1) I'm looking at the Alienware Aurora or Area-51 (other recommendations appreciated)

2) Proc: Core I7 920. Good enough?

3) Video: There are several options as far a video cards as well as option for dual cards. I will be using single monitor. Any particular brand and model number I should look for?

4) Ram: I was thinking about 12 mb. Is that over kill?

5) Audio: A couple of options here from Alienware. Integrated being standard. Soundblaster X-fi Titanium is their top of the line. Should I not skimp on audio?

This will be a major purchase for me so I would like to get something that can be upgraded in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Skitsofrenic

I came across this article today when I was trying to decide myself if I should build or buy a pre-built computer. This article uses Area51 and Aurora as comparisons.

This article clearly shows that building a high-end computer will be much cheaper compared to buying one since companies like to overcharge high-end and gaming pcs.

Here is the article:
http://www.h3xed.com/post.php?id=59

Last edited:

lunadog

allienware is basicly an extra 1000$ for the title of alienware build ur own computer im excited for when i get to it just seems more satisfying

ninja007

Thanks linkin and others. Your link was very interesting. As of right now WOW is my sole interest. Maybe others down the road.

I have always considered building my own, but i'm not the most computer savy guy around and i'm afraid that I would run into all sorts of problems that I would have no clue how to fix or even where to begin, trouble shooting, drivers, bios, and all-around general assembly and set-up.

I love the idea of picking out my own components and saving some dough. If I could find someone local (so cal) who would be willing to do the assembly part for a fee that would be great. If there is someone out there interested I would like to hear from you.

Thanks again for your tips and advice.

Mike

lunadog

Go on youtube watch videos its acualy now that hard from what i can tell make sure u put everything on the motherboard like said above and dont force the cpu in if it doesnt fit dont make it fit thats just how u break stuff unless your a major clutz i recomend building it

daisymtc

Alienware too expensive.
there are plenty of company do customize build which is cheaper.

Generally, i recommend you go for core i7 930/ 950, 6GB RAM, GTX 460 1GB/ 5830 1GB, 750W PSU (if you want to run Dual video card later)

www.cyberpowerpc.com
$1433
Mega Special IV
CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
Core i7-950
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader [+27])
GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card
Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Windows 7 premium 64 bit