Need advice on creating a website

tlarkin

VIP Member
So, since you are a beginner I think people aren't understanding exactly what you want, and perhaps you aren't wording the questions just right either. Which is common when you are first starting out, so let me maybe just point out a few things and let you decide where to go.

What exactly makes a great website?

1) Back end technology, like databases, web servers, php command line, cron jobs, scripts, and so forth. These things the end user never sees and they are things that put your whole site together.

2) Simple and efficient design. You don't want your users being confused when they come visit your site. You also want it to look nice but simple at the same time.

3) Content - you need content on your site for whatever the site is about. Content is what keeps people coming back.

So, then you might want to ask yourself, how do I accomplish all of this? How do I create and maintain MySQL, or SQL databases for my content, forums and users to make it searchable and what not? How do I ensure my web server is always up to date, and always has the latest security modules installed? How do I easily create, maintain and update content on my site to keep my users coming back for more?

Really, in my opinion, the answer to all of these questions is to use or build a CMS (content management system). Wordpress has been mentioned before but I recommend Drupal over it. For many reasons, but I won't go into all of those right now.

Drupal, is a free open source CMS, that also has a large community behind it. It is basically a very powerful frame work you can install on your web server and it allows you to maintain, design, and upload content in an efficient manner. It also runs crons jobs against itself to check for security updates and what not and it will notify you when those updates are available.

In fact, in a giant win for open source, www.whitehouse.gov just switched over all their content to a Drupal based site. Now, when I say it is a framework, it really is just that. You download it, install it, and can use built in themes or you can completely redesign the whole layout and create your own theme. All the while all the back end stuff is there for you.

www.drupal.org

This is something you will not learn over night either. You will need to take the time to learn basics, and then learn how to transcend the basics into advanced coding and development. So there will be times where you become frustrated and want to quit, and if you stick with it though, you will be able to build just about anything you want with it. Since that is the very nature of what a framework really is.

Moocher

OK so I downloaded Drupal... what next? How do I go about hosting the site on my own... right now all I have is a folder with a bunch of stuff in it. I'll Google it, but I would like some help from the patrons of this site as well :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
You need to install it on a web server that meets the minimum requirements. what web server are you running and on what platform?

Moocher

Well I want to set up a Web server on my home computer for now. I don't mind the downtime of the website when I turn off my computer at night.

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, but I don't know what you are running as far as your home computer? To be honest, if you are serious about this you may want to learn a bit of Linux as you go. I don't really know of any company that hosts web sites on a Windows box, almost 99% of the Web is either Unix or Linux when it comes to hosting.

You need to the following

MySQL

PHP 5

PHP command line

Apache (or equivalent web server)

and maybe a thing or two I am forgetting....

If you insist on running windows you can look at AMPP or whatever it is as an all in one install of Apache.

Moocher

I'm running Windows 7, 2 gigs of RAM, and 159/300g HD. So you think Linux would be better to run this web server on? Would I need to get another pc to do it that way? Bc Windows is my main OS, I do have install for Ubuntu however, and I think the web server would go offline when I log into Windows.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'm running Windows 7, 2 gigs of RAM, and 159/300g HD. So you think Linux would be better to run this web server on? Would I need to get another pc to do it that way? Bc Windows is my main OS, I do have install for Ubuntu however, and I think the web server would go offline when I log into Windows.

I run a virtual machine of Ubuntu on my PC at home and on my Mac. I run my test (dev) server off the virtual machine. You can download and install all the software needed to do this for free. However, VMs do take up a bit of RAM, or they can, but to be honest for testing a simple web site I think you can probably run a VM with 512mb of RAM, and be OK with it. I only give my Linux VMs 1gig of RAM.

Moocher

So run a linux VM on my pc, and in that run a web server, in which I can then run a website, which I will use Drupal to build. I better get cracking lol

Moocher

I have 4 gigs of RAM, but my motherboard refuses to stay stable when I place both 2gig sticks in. It crashes my pc, and corrupts my Graphics driver. Frustrating... b/c i'm not liking the idea of running 7 on 1 gig of RAM.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well to be bluntly honest if you want your website to be live just pay for hosting, it can be as cheap as $4 per a month, and up to $10 per a month for decent hosting of a single low traffic page.

Linux is the way to go if you are serious about learning how to be a web developer. It will be so much in your benefit to learn how to administer a server so you will never need to pay anyone else to do it for you, and if you decide to go into web development as a career it makes you look better on paper and probably can justify higher pay at a firm. Everyone likes to make more money right?

I would get your system to use all 4gigs of RAM then you could dedicate a whole gig to your VM. Develop on your VM and once you get the hang of it transfer it to your live site.

Plus ISPs block so much stuff and with your extremely limited upload trying to host it yourself will suck.

tlarkin

VIP Member
you will need to make sure first your webhost has the minimum requirements to run drupal, which are here:

http://drupal.org/requirements

Then you need to download the latest build and upload it with an FTP program. If you have ssh access to your home/webroot folder it makes it easier.

Then just follow the instructions and upload it, once that is done you install drupal over the web by visiting your fully qualified domain name over the web.

Moocher

They say they support Drupal. How do the FTP thing and " If you have ssh access to your home/webroot folder it makes it easier" ?

Moocher

So I finally got Drupal installed on my webserver (hosting with IX) and it's great :) I have hit a wall however with an issue. I want to post a monthly newsletter (pdf) to the site, so that people can click on a link or something and open a pdf of my file... the site is http://www.niwa.babayemi.com , let me know what you think.

It's working now.

Last edited: