Need Advice on New Rig

Marzeth

I've separated and my ex has the computer on my signature (excluding sound card... I got that out!)

I want to get a new rig, something reaaaaally nice. Want to build something I can upgrade later on without spending all my dough right this instance. I'm hooking it up to my Full HD LCD TV and I'll use my receiver for sound. All I need, is the backbone basically.

I've been looking at the following things that will determine my computer build:
1. Intel Core 2 Quad processors. But I want to know if they are worth the extra cash I would put instead of buying Core 2 Dual.
2. I want to go Crossfire or SLI. Had ATI previously, which ones do you recommend and why? If price is a factor, then I will most likely consider it.

Any type of special Motherboard anyone suggest I should get? Any other suggestions outside what I've written are more than welcome.

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
The Core 2 Quads are very nice processors, but are overpriced right now. Especially if your a gamer, since most games arent even optimized very well for dual-cores. I'd hold off on the quads until they come down in price.

Also, SLI and CF have similar advantages and disadvantages, however SLI has alot more supported motherboards to choose from.

thealmightyone

Core 2 Quad is unnecessary right now, unless you plan on encoding 4 movies at the same time, non-stop.
So, go for Core 2 Duo.
And, SLI over Crossfire, as Nvidia provide better drivers than ATI at the moment. It's the drivers that determine how much of a benefit you get from SLI/Crossfire.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I'd favor SLI over Crossfire at the moment, mainly due to the fact that nVidia is the only company with cards that support DX10.

macnoob

Core 2 Quad is unnecessary right now, unless you plan on encoding 4 movies at the same time, non-stop.
So, go for Core 2 Duo.
And, SLI over Crossfire, as Nvidia provide better drivers than ATI at the moment. It's the drivers that determine how much of a benefit you get from SLI/Crossfire.

honestly, they arent usefull for everyone right now, id be hppy with the regular duo cores, i dont need one of the iggest ones, because i dont kno what requires that much power to run. even basic physics calculations an be done with 2.0GHzand a nice graphics card.