Need Advice on RAM Sticks

Codeguru

Main Board specs for RAM

• 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 64GB
- Supports DDR4 3200(OC)/ 3000(OC)/ 2800(OC)/ 2600(OC)/ 2400/ 2133 MHz
• Dual channel memory architecture
• Supports ECC, un-buffered memory
- ECC UDIMM memory (non-ECC mode)
• Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support depends on the individual CPU physical characteristics
* Please refer to Compatibility reports for more information of compatible memory

If I get DDR4 3200, will they run, or do I need to stick to 2400?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure you go into bios and enable xmp memory setting so that the memory will run at 3200 instead of 2400. If you have existing memory installed and adding to it then you need to use the same speed as original sticks or you may run into issues.

Codeguru

Yeah, I stupidly used 4 sticks of 8GB when I built it, so they're all a total waste now. Going for 16G x 4 sticks. Based on playing on my gaming rig at 32G, it has worked wonders for optimizing resources. Just going to max it out of morbid curiosity and see what difference, if at all, 64G will make. Thanks for the info.

Okedokey

Yeah, I stupidly used 4 sticks of 8GB when I built it, so they're all a total waste now. Going for 16G x 4 sticks. Based on playing on my gaming rig at 32G, it has worked wonders for optimizing resources. Just going to max it out of morbid curiosity and see what difference, if at all, 64G will make. Thanks for the info.
Nothing. Waste of money. 32GB is loads unless you are doing something memory intensive.
PS, you probs know, but slower ram but greater capacity is likely to be slower than less ram that is faster. 4 x 8 is plenty. Overclock the snot out of it if you're on AM4.

Codeguru

Overclock failed and I had to turn off XMP mode, though the previous 4 sticks turned out to be DDR4 3200 as well. But I gave RLCraft 32G out of the 64 to play with and it's chunking like a mofo at full settings. Just glad I don't listen to the 640k is all the RAM we'll ever need folks, lol.