need advice

neoandr

New Member
I have a very pre-historic PC that I neeed to get up.

K-6 (MOTHERBOARD)
500MHZ (PROCESSOR)
393M (MEMORY)

the problem is when I try to boot it tells me that HD is invalid so i have to reload windows. Everytime I reach Windows Setup in the process it just give me the B.S.O.D., something about Scsiport: YADA YADA
WhAT SHOULD i do? HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPP.
 
K-6 (MOTHERBOARD)
500MHZ (PROCESSOR)
393M (MEMORY)
Actually, K6 is the processor. A great CPU, I had a K6-2 on my prehistoric rig that I sold off a few years ago ;)

As for your problem, the HD might well be dead. You need to give us the specific error message before we can say anyhting for sure, as any part of a that old machine could've failed. Also, what version of Windows are you trying to install (and at what stage exactly does the installation fail?)?
 
Do you know what type og HD you have? If it's a SCSI drive it may need some kind of special drivers installed before running XP setup.

As a side note, I would imagine running XP on that machine would be a nightmare. You may want to try instaling a linux distro, not only to see if you could/would use that as a XP alernative but mainly to see if Linux installs successfully - if not, you have a hardware problem of some kind (or something wrong with BIOS settings, speaking of which have you tried resetting the CMOS?)
 
Back
Top