WIndows 10 Need assistance in possible Network and/or Hardware Issue

ItsMaceman

Hello,

For the couple months I've been experiencing random times where I would be playing an online game alone or with a friend and my internet would cut out. The cutout typically lasts 3-5 seconds. In Call of Duty for example, I will be in a multiplayer game and everything will freeze and after a few seconds I die because everyone else kept playing while my connection hiccupped. While in multiplayer games I always reconnect and never lose connection to my current game. I'm usually able to play a bit more and not have it happen for a couple of hours, or it could happen instantly again. It only does it to my desktop as well, no other devices in the house have this issue. It mostly happens when I'm playing online games also but I've seen it happen while I'm just browsing the web. I will be watching a twitch stream or YouTube video and it will say that I have internet connection and after a couple seconds it will come back. My download speeds or in game connection are normal and aren't slow by any means.

I'm hooked directly to the router through an ethernet cable. I've updated all my drivers. I tried replacing the ethernet cable my computer is using.

This problem is really annoying since I really would like to play with my friends online normally without having to deal with my internet randomly cutting out at random intervals. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

DavidG

If you are only having problems with an ethernet connection this narrows the problem considerably to the computer, the cable, the router/modem or the ISP line.
  1. Try a new cable
  2. powercycle the router/modem and see if things improve.
  3. Contact your ISP to check whether there are any problems with the line
  4. Consider a separate ethernet card rather than the onboard one
  5. Consider replacing the router or asking the ISP to replace it, it if it is their equipment

ItsMaceman

If you are only having problems with an ethernet connection this narrows the problem considerably to the computer, the cable, the router/modem or the ISP line.
  1. Try a new cable
  2. powercycle the router/modem and see if things improve.
  3. Contact your ISP to check whether there are any problems with the line
  4. Consider a separate ethernet card rather than the onboard one
  5. Consider replacing the router or asking the ISP to replace it, it if it is their equipment
Hi David!

Thank you for replying,

1. Try a new cable - I tried replacing the cable and that didnt seem to work
  2. powercycle the router/modem and see if things improve. - Have tried powercycle my router, even tried factory reseting the router
  3. Contact your ISP to check whether there are any problems with the line - I can try, but it seems only to affect my computer specifically. Xbox doesnt have issues, smart TVs dont have issues, other laptops dont have the same issue
  4. Consider a separate ethernet card rather than the onboard one - I have not tryed this method. Are there any ethernet cards you would recommend I use? Price is no issue if i can get this fixed.
  5. Consider replacing the router or asking the ISP to replace it, it if it is their equipment - We purchased a Netgear Nighthawk and like i said above no other devices are having this issue while connected to it
Sounds like possibly purchasing a separate ethernet card may be a possible fix. Are there ones that don't sacrifice internet speeds?

Thank you!!

DavidG

before you go spending any money, it would be worth checking the health of the rest of the computer.
  • Initially run the network troubleshooter, right click on the network icon in the bottom right corner and choose troubleshoot.
  • Download and run OCCT, it a free hardware stress tester for the cooling system, CPU and GPU. https://www.ocbase.com/
  • Check the temps and if needed clean the fans and reapply thermal paste.
  • Check the RAM by running windows memory tool, in the start search box type ’memory’ and follow the prompts.
  • Check the hard drive(s)/SSD by running Crystaldiskinfo and seeing if the SMART status is good. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
  • check that all your drivers are up to date especially your current network and chipset drivers
  • Finally run windows system file checker to check system files and repair them. In an elevated command prompt type
sfc /scannow wait for it to finish if there are any errors it cannot fix update your post.if all checks out you could try replacing the Ethernet card they aren’t expensive but intermittent faults like this are notoriously difficult to track down. There are no guarantees that it will fix it.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Different cable, different switch port (or router device, sounds like you already did that), tshoot between similar PCs, check drivers and/or update.

Can you recreate this behavior when browsing and stuff, or doing a looping ping like to google? If you notice it occasionally hangs when trying to browse pages it might be related or something you could test outside of your 3d environment, if so you could use a ubuntu livecd and see if you get the same behavior.