Need Cheap (700-1000 USD) Laptop

EH55

As you can see with my title i need a cheap laptop :) , within my budget.
Would you guys recomend any sites?

I plan to be doing pretty basic things on this laptop, surfin the web, using AIM, downloading, and playing Counter-Strike (dont know if anoyone plays that anymore :p )

Im hoping for specs close to this..
*AMD 2500 or More
*256-512 RAM, although really want the 512
*30 GB hard drive
*Windows XP
*Decent Video Card (32-64)
*Wireless compatible
*DVD drive
*And I dont mind if i have to settle for a moniter less than 15"

I would play the more "requiring" games ( WCIII FT, Call Of Duty ... ect...)
On the family desktop, as i do now.

Also Does Anyone know if there are any computer shows in the Philadelphia, PA area coming up? I heard you can score some good deals there :D

Thnx In advance

~~EH55

Last edited:

jbob

I really only know Intel, can't help much in the AMD world...one example in the new Intel department is...at Best Buy right now for $999 before a $150 mail in rebate you can get a Toshiba (model A45-S121) 2.8GHz Celeron (I know) w/400MHz FSB, 256MB RAM, 40GB 4200 RPM HDD, CD-RW/DVD Combo, 15" TFT display, Intel 32MB integrated video, integrated nic and modem but no wi fi, XP Home, 1 year warranty....

You could always try searching for refurbed units but a notebook equipped like the one above is about all you can expect for new name brand gear in that price range...

Maybe check out Averatec notebooks also; they run AMDs in some models and have a few models under a grand with wi fi built in....don't know their quality or reputation though...

Big shopping world out there, start searching google and narrow down some possibles...

Jim

Sirius_GTO

I would recommend going with a Dell laptop. Check out their E1405 models. You can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo processor, 1G ram, 80G HD for 900. You really cannot beat that.

Geoff

VIP Member
As you can see with my title i need a cheap laptop :) , within my budget.
Would you guys recomend any sites?

I plan to be doing pretty basic things on this laptop, surfin the web, using AIM, downloading, and playing Counter-Strike (dont know if anoyone plays that anymore :p )

Im hoping for specs close to this..
*AMD 2500 or More
*256-512 RAM, although really want the 512
*30 GB hard drive
*Windows XP
*Decent Video Card (32-64)
*Wireless compatible
*DVD drive
*And I dont mind if i have to settle for a moniter less than 15"

I would play the more "requiring" games ( WCIII FT, Call Of Duty ... ect...)
On the family desktop, as i do now.

Also Does Anyone know if there are any computer shows in the Philadelphia, PA area coming up? I heard you can score some good deals there :D

Thnx In advance

~~EH55
$700-$1000 is alot of money. You can buy a laptop with the specs you listed for around $300.

I would recommend going to www.dell.com and look at their E1405, E1505, and E1705 (14", 15", and 17").