Need CPU advice...

Tin Tin

Hi, I am building a couple gaming computers for my sons.The last things I need to buy are the MB, processor and graphics card.

I was planning to go with AMD to save on costs, but have heard I should reconsider Intel if only for the stability alone. Is there any merit to that ?

For a gamping PC, would you recommend any specific processors (and motherboards) following this criteria....

- I only want Quad core for now, to save cost.
- I'm hoping to spend closer to $100 than $200 for the processor. Please dont respond
with "you can't" because I know I can, and most of the money is going into the GPU anyway.
- I'd like to get a motherboard that doesn't limit my upgrade abilities later. That said, I can't
afford Sandy Bridge or anything else as expensive, so I know there is some risk.
- I am hoping to get the MB and CPU for $250 or less.

I'd like to get a MB with a socket that will be around a while, for later upgrading of just the CPU... although I know there are no guarantees. I was lkeading toward an Athlon II... but am also considering the Intel i5 series.

Any CPU's... or motherboard manufacturers I should avoid ?

I know I have a lot more reading to do but I am hoping for advice and recommendations from people that have been through this.

Thank you very much to anyone that replies.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You said your interest was to save money, so it looks like you should go for an AMD build. However, not sure how long the AM3 cpu's will be out. Yes, an intel sandy bridge build would be more future proof but if you can't afford it, you can't.

As far as motherboards to get... stay with either Asus or Gigabyte with Gigabyte being my favorite lately.

If you want to go quad core then look for the Phenom II 955

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

motherboard with usb2 and sata 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128451

or motherboard with usb3 and sata 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

mihir

VIP Member
If you are going with AMD the computer wont be much future-proof.Since the new AMD processors would use the AM3+ socket which will be backward compatible but the new AMD processors wont be backward compatible.
But still for a Budget gaming PC the AMD Phenom II x4 955 will more than enough for.
I would go with the Gigabyte UD3R as John posted.

As for the GPU what is your budget.I would recomend something like a HD6870 or an HD6950.

Tin Tin

Thanks a lot

I appreciate all the great help/advice.
I'm sure I will have more questions later, but I wanted to thank you and let you know I am following the thread... and didnt just get my advice and disappear.

Anyways... Thanks for everything so far.

CardboardSword

I'll second the vote on the Gigabyte boards, I've put them in 4 different builds, including my own without so much as a hitch. Even my own board was relatively cheap but has held up very well with all the abuse I've put it through with overclocking. The 955 is also at a pretty good spot for bang for your buck, especially if you overclock it a little bit.