Need help building a gaming Rig, and a nice monitor

Hanzu

i've had an iMac 27" 2011 ( very nice screen ) so not trying to downgrade from that lol, my specs were i7 3.4 16gb ram 1333, 1tb harddrive 7200 rpm. 6900M 9 yes M lol ) 2gb dedicated graphic...

my budget is 2500 and can only buy from newegg since most of the things are tax free and free shipping... i heard the ultrasharp dell 27" monitors are the best... but i hope newegg also got nice monitor that you guys know about..

anywyas, thanks in advance for anyone who willing to help , newegg links would be awesome, and this would be the first time building a comp... ( the one in my sig was built, but the parts were all given to someone to put it togther LOL )

and window 7 would be great, i heard 8 is crap.

ShrunkThatGUY

here is a build that i have created for you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lQv8
it is of a site called pc part picker and its set to the cheapest for the us.
i have included 2 x gtx 660ti
it is your choice about what gpu
their is a monitor included in the build.
have a look and check it out :)

spirit

Staff member
I say that build isn't great. :/

Change the 3770K to a 3570K and spend the money on a better graphics card setup if this is for gaming. The 3570K is just about the best gaming chip out there now, so no need to go for a 3770K. I'd change the cooler to something like a Corsair H-Series or something like that too.

Graphics card wise, it's always best to go for one powerful GPU over two weaker ones. Reason being it takes less space and uses less power and produces less heat. I think you should go with a single Radeon HD 7970 or a single GTX 680. That way if you want add another one in the future, you won't have to rip out both cards and replace them both, but you can just buy another card.

You don't need 16GB of RAM for gaming, go for 8GB for now. If you have money left over, go 16 though, but really the graphics card should have the most money spent on it.

The case is all right, it's a personal preference though. I prefer the NZXT Phantom and the Fractal Design Define XL to that Cooler Master. Might want to take a look at Corsair's cases too, some of those are really nice.

Power supply isn't the best, Cooler Master don't make great PSUs. Better to go with a Corsair TX 750 or something from XFX or Seasonic.

You don't need Windows 7 Ultimate, I say get Windows 7 Pro.

Spend all the money you saved on a better SSD. The Vertex 4 is newer and faster than the Vertex 3, and if you can, get a 256GB drive, otherwise 128GB will be enough. There are other SSDs too but the Vertex 4 is pretty good.

Ankur

my budget is 2500 and can only buy from newegg since most of the things are tax free and free shipping... i heard the ultrasharp dell 27" monitors are the best... but i hope newegg also got nice monitor that you guys know about..
Do you really want the 1440p/1600p monitor? It costs around 700-1000$, that will also need a good GPU, if you are okay with 1080p resolution then 200+$ can handle nicely.
and window 7 would be great, i heard 8 is crap.
Only GUI is mobile based crap rest features are better than 7.

claptonman

Windows 7's a better OS though. I say get Windows 7 Pro and you'll be happy. :)

Any reason you feel that way? I say if you tried Windows 8 and like it better, why not go for it? It loads faster and is really good at finding drivers. It takes a while to get used to, but if you prefer it/want to learn it, why not? There's no compatibility issues.

But yeah, good suggestions otherwise.

spirit

Staff member
Any reason you feel that way? I say if you tried Windows 8 and like it better, why not go for it? It loads faster and is really good at finding drivers. It takes a while to get used to, but if you prefer it/want to learn it, why not? There's no compatibility issues.

But yeah, good suggestions otherwise.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal opinion I guess, but I've tried Windows 8 and it is, in my opinion, bad. Everything now takes 3 times longer to do thanks to the lack of Start Menu and it's clearly optimised for tablets. On a desktop, I think it's a bad idea.

If you're happy with 7 then stick with it. No need to upgrade. I'm hearing about all sorts of installation issues too, though I must admit I don't think Dad had any when he installed it.

turbodiesel

Besides the Engine of Win8 it's a crappy thing. Not ment for Professional users..

agreed

i think personally it is too user friendly and getting rid of the start menu was the worst idea ever since it has been with windows OS's for ages and you get too used to it and because it is based on tablet/touchscreen systems which means the buttons are too big for desktop users

i have heard of something called start8 which looks good which if i get windows 8 for my tablet i can add back the start menu

spirit

Staff member
I used a program called ViStart on my copy of Windows 8 Release Preview in a VM and it's much better now with the Start Menu and Start button returned.