Need help building a new cpu

tyl2704

I am in the midst of earning a degree in 3d animation. I have two years left before I graduate and I desperately need a new computer. I use Maya 8.5 and must create animated clips, 3d models, etc. constantly. The computer I have now cannot even run Maya, so...I must run to the computer lab every time I work on an assignment. I have built a pc on the cyberpower website and was wondering if you could take a look at it to see how it is. Remeber I need this to be able to render scenes very well. Also playing games like crysis at max wouldn't hurt either lol.

oh and if you know a better set-up for what I want to do please let me know!

here they are:

Intel Core 2 Duo SLI Custom Build Configurator (NO MONITOR)

# *BASE_PRICE: [+889]
# CAS: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) NEW! Apevia X-Jupiter Jr. 420 Watts Case (G Type Metallic Gray Color with Side-Window)
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6])
# CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+296]
# CD: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: 16X DVD ROM [+18] (BLACK COLOR)
# CABLE: None
# FLOPPY: NONE [-5]
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FREEBIE_VC2: None
# FAN: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [+15]
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+66])
# HDD2: NONE
# IEEE_CARD: IEEE 1394 CARD AND DRIVER [+19]
# KEYBOARD: NONE [-7]
# MOUSE: NONE [-5]
# MODEM: NONE
# MONITOR: NONE
# MONITOR2: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core FSB1333) Asus P5N32-E nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard [+102]
# MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+200] (Mushkin Xtreme w/ Heat Spreader [+125])
# NETWORK: Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card [+34]
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 [+135]
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# PRO_WIRING: None
# POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Power Supplies [+49] (**Recommended** NZXT PP500 500Watts Power Supply)
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SOFT1: Microsoft® Works v8.5
# SOFT2: McAfee Anti Virus 7 [+15]
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
# SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
# SPEAKERS: Logitech (BLACK) X-540 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System [+68]
# TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (WHITE COLOR)
# TVRC: None
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# UPS: None
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB 16X PCI Express [+599] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
# VIDEO2: NONE [-82]
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card + GigaByte GN-AT2050D 2.4GHz Indoor Omni-Directional Dipole Antenna [+44]
# _PRICE: (+2596)

chupacabra

Just get the Q6600 is cheaper and you barely will notice the difference, get vista premium 64 bits if you're going to use 4gb of ram and get a better power supply cuz 500 watts is kinda short for a ultra and all that stuff

paratwa

Here is a quick system I put together, This is just to give you an idea of what could be done with better parts and for cheaper than that system you picked.

It could use a few tweaks, since I did it quickly. But it would be a super fast system for what you want to do.

I don't really think you need SLI for what you want, but since you picked it, that is what you got.

This includes a 10,000 rpm raptor for your OS and programs and a 500 gig HD for your files.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129021

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131142

(2 ea) EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130303

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817703009

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115017

(2 ea) CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145177

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136012

Seagate ST3500631NS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148286

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827151154

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16832116378

Subtotal: $1,985.90 with out shipping.

tyl2704

paratwa: it is built by cyberpower.com

Thanks a lot guys, well see I've never built one myself so I wouldn't know what to do...thats why I'm having a site do it for me. Is it that difficult?

paratwa

It's not difficult at all. If you can slide parts into a slot and turn some screws, but in a cd, and know how to load programs, you have it built.

The key to an easy build are the parts, just make sure you get the right parts up front, and it builds it's self.

There are tons of sights devoted to building computers, some with video's and most with text, but just reading those are very helpful.

Just do a bit of research before building, and come back here for any questions.

We are more than happy to help you with any questions.

tyl2704

thank you so much. I will definitely be back. For now I think I'll take your advice and check out some sites. Thanks again!

tyl2704

sorry for the double post...but I actually don't think I need SLI either. Would it really help? If not I'll do without it. How can I have a quad core without SLI? I'm assuming just not to buy a second video card.

paratwa

Sli is just 2 video cards, a quad core is the CPU it's self. No correlation between the 2 at all.

When you are ready to build, come back and make a new post asking for help on building a new system, you will get a few people to help you make the right choices on the parts you want and need. Make sure to give us a budget and what you want to do with the system.

Most people here, and I agree, think that SLI is a waste.

chupacabra

Yeah, get vista 64 so that none of your hardware works, and all of your games run slow.

Is that suppose to be a joke? the hardware part, the games well is true but then again isn't like they'll run ten times slower than on xp.

On the hardware side, is bullshit you could have more problems with xp pro 64 bits than with vista.

Yeah, get vista 64 so that none of your hardware works, and all of your games run slow.

Haha...you're full of it... If you don't try to run Vista on that junk you call hardware, the problem doesn't exist.. Ppl like you are the only ones that complain about Vista, you have crap for hardware and you know it, so you're too embarrassed to put it in your sig.

paratwa

Haha...you're full of it... If you don't try to run Vista on that junk you call hardware, the problem doesn't exist.. Ppl like you are the only ones that complain about Vista, you have crap for hardware and you know it, so you're too embarrassed to put it in your sig.

And people like you are the reason Microsoft gets rich. You buy anything they come out with. Even if it is crap. Read around, every magazine worth a damn hates Vista, every reviewer thinks it's crap, and was not ready for release.

It slows games down, it has major problems with hardware and after market software.

But it is pretty! I guess that's why it's so cool.

And I apologize for having this thread hijacked. My fault, sorry.

And it is proven that XP runs circles around Vista when it comes to games.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
And people like you are the reason Microsoft gets rich. You buy anything they come out with. Even if it is crap. Read around, every magazine worth a damn hates Vista, every reviewer thinks it's crap, and was not ready for release.

It slows games down, it has major problems with hardware and after market software.

Yes a lot of people hate Vista (I dont care for it myself either). Although it's not trash, it has a few cool features and such, but all of my hardware works and I have never had a hardware/driver related issue with Vista.

Little do you know... I have never had a problem with it, and your type of ppl hate on Vista as a fad.. I couldn't careless about what some damn magazine thinks about Vista, I am a user myself so, why in the hell should I give PC Mag's opinion on things?

You prove to me it slows down games... Then we shall talk, proof may not be minimalistic/not noticed by user...

paratwa

Last edited:
Company of Heroes looks better on Vista... I know this for a fact and I utilized the same video card, that old X1300PRO...

Either way, Vista is new, XP is old... Oh, lets run those games in DX10... Most of those games were in the process of creation before Vista was released.. Let's talk about the future shall we, I am not gonna run Pong when Vienna comes out...

And if Vista WOULD run on your system, why don't you get and quit 'hating for not having'? Don't put it down until you at least try to get used to it for a couple of hours. And what's with no rig in the sig?

paratwa

I am not saying that I will NEVER use vista, but I will wait until SP2 comes out for it. Just like I did before I went to XP. I have no need or desire to spend $300 on an OS that is not fixed yet. And if it gets to the point that DX10 is ported to XP because of lagging sells of Vista, then I will never make the change.

As for no specs? Why should I. Thats for people that feel the need to brag. I think bragging is... well, you figure it out.

Yes my system is a bit old, but I have found no reason to upgrade at this point. I am more than happy to run my system right now, it does everything I need it to do. When it gets to the point that it will not run what I need it to run then I will upgrade.

But just for your piece of mind.

AMD 64 x2 4200
Abit K8T800 939 socket
2 gigs crucial ram
430 watt PSU Rosewell
ATI 2600 AGP (yeah I know, it was a mistake but it runs OK.)
20 inch Samsung 204bw monitor

EDIT, 1 80 gig WD 7400 8 meg cache HD, and 1 160 gig 8 meg cache WD HD

Last edited:
I am not saying that I will NEVER use vista, but I will wait until SP2 comes out for it. Just like I did before I went to XP. I have no need or desire to spend $300 on an OS that is not fixed yet. And if it gets to the point that DX10 is ported to XP because of lagging sells of Vista, then I will never make the change.

As for no specs? Why should I. Thats for people that feel the need to brag. I think bragging is... well, you figure it out.

Yes my system is a bit old, but I have found no reason to upgrade at this point. I am more than happy to run my system right now, it does everything I need it to do. When it gets to the point that it will not run what I need it to run then I will upgrade.

But just for your piece of mind.

AMD 64 x2 4200
Abit K8T800 939 socket
2 gigs crucial ram
430 watt PSU Rosewell
ATI 2600 AGP (yeah I know, it was a mistake but it runs OK.)
20 inch Samsung 204bw monitor

EDIT, 1 80 gig WD 7400 8 meg cache HD, and 1 160 gig 8 meg cache WD HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116204

$112