Need help buying my first SSHD please!

lowki

If anyone have any suggestion for a budget one around 40-70 bucks please let me know. I prefer anything more than 1tb but it looks like i have to settle for a 500gb. If anyone have knowledge of hard drives please let me know? The last time i upgraded was 10 years ago... so yea i'm out of the loop. I'm sort of gaming on my spare time so i'm looking for a decent one to choose from.

Here are the 2 i'm deciding to get

Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NSBF32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OR

Seagate 500GB Gaming SSHD SATA 8GB NAND SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST500LM000)

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Gami...sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+500GB+Gaming+SSHD#Ask

edit: i forgot to mention this is for my desktop and not laptop!

Last edited:

lowki

Why are SSHD not recommended? aren't they better than your standard hard drive? also i meant to say its for a desktop and not laptop forgot to mention that sorry. How much is the different from your average sshd vs hard drive compare to 10 years ago.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
also i meant to say its for a desktop and not laptop forgot to mention that sorry.
The reason I said that is because you chose 2.5" laptop drives instead of 3.5" desktop drives.

Why are SSHD not recommended?
Because you are only getting 4gb ssd on the xt drive and an 8gb ssd on the other. The performance just isn't there really. You want performance then get a true SSD drive. Since this is a desktop then you can get a 250gb SSD for $75.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ZK-00AB-001B4

Install windows to it and your most used games/applications and the rest on your storage drive. You'll get better performance this way then using an SSHD.

Intel_man

VIP Member
SSHD's are terrible... let alone it's Seagate. I'd avoid Seagate like the plague. They have a reputation of not being reliable vs their competition.

lowki

SSHD's are terrible... let alone it's Seagate. I'd avoid Seagate like the plague. They have a reputation of not being reliable vs their competition.

Care to explain why sshd are bad? What would you recommend?

The reason I said that is because you chose 2.5" laptop drives instead of 3.5" desktop drives.

Because you are only getting 4gb ssd on the xt drive and an 8gb ssd on the other. The performance just isn't there really. You want performance then get a true SSD drive. Since this is a desktop then you can get a 250gb SSD for $75.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ZK-00AB-001B4

Install windows to it and your most used games/applications and the rest on your storage drive. You'll get better performance this way then using an SSHD.

Thank you for explaining that to me. Still alot for me to learn

Intel_man

VIP Member
It's not worth the extra you have to pay vs a traditional mech harddrive. The performance increase for the most part is meh vs a real SSD.

Grab a proper SSD as @johnb35 has linked previously. Samsung right now makes really nice SSD's. The 750 EVO is very budget friendly, but if you want a SSD with a longer rated lifespan, you'll have to settle for a 850 EVO, or a 850 PRO. Warranties are also longer with these two SSD's vs the 750 EVO.

jamesd1981

I would strongly suggest NEVER waste your money on an SSHD, I was always suspicious of them and stupidly when I was upgrading the hard drives in our ps4`s, I took a punt on 2 SSHD drives and i suppose to no surprise the machine was much more prone to crashes & errors.

Instead of giving you the speed of an SSD & the reliability as well as size of an HDD, all a SSHD does is give you unreliability with little or no gain in speed.

Last edited:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member

Basically, the price vs performance increase just isn't there. The way they're marketed makes you think you're going to break into turbo mode or something, and that just isn't the case. It's a marginal increase at best, though more often than not it's more of a lateral move.

A true SSD, however, is night and day difference. Even the a 'slow' SSD will run circles around most (all at this point) traditional platter-style drives. Use an SSD for 5 minutes and you'll never want to run an OS on a HDD again.