Need help choosing a new scanner

jjonsalt

When I last got a new computer it was loaded with Vista. I had been using XP. Without going into detail, I had a hell of a time getting my scanner, a Microtek i900, to work with Vista. I have used the scanner for a number of years now and it does everything I need doing very well. I especially like the wide array of film I can scan and do so without having to go through the glass scan bed.

Now, I once again have a new computer and can't get the i900 to work properly with Windows 7. I believe I need to replace my scanner with one up to date to operate with the latest.

I need to be able to scan photos, docs and film (hopefully not through a glass bed) and spend no more than $300-$350. Suggestions please. Thanks.

dwall

Microtek seems to have solutions for Windows 7, have you tried there?

I have the Epson B11B190011 WorkForce GT-1500. I really like it's document feeder as I am usually scanning in more than 1 page items and usually to PDF format. Depends what you primarily use it for.

jjonsalt

Yeah, that was first. Problem is WIA does not recognize it. Microtek admits this problem but offers no fix.

The WorkForce GT-1500 is certainly within budget, but I need a photo scanner. Thank you though.

dwall

Did you try Vuescan drivers for your i900? We have an old HP Scanjet 6200C that we got working on 64-bit Win 7 with their driver.

dwall

Vuescan works, how about that! But my color photo scans as a very contrasty b&w. Do you know why?

Sorry, we use the program on that particular older scanner for document scanning. I have a Wolverine for slides (I inherited the thousands of slides my dad had). Are you trying the pro version?

jjonsalt

Problem solved, I feel like an idiot now. The Pro program is $80 but a lot cheaper than a new scanner that is not the level of mine. The only 2 NIB i900 scanners I have found are $1200 and $1500, we are talking about a high quality scanner, and I can't afford anything close to that now. I'll give Microtek 2-3 days to come up with a solution, I'm in contact with them, and if they can't I'll buy the Vuescan Pro program. Thanks a bunch.

dwall

Problem solved, I feel like an idiot now. The Pro program is $80 but a lot cheaper than a new scanner that is not the level of mine. The only 2 NIB i900 scanners I have found are $1200 and $1500, we are talking about a high quality scanner, and I can't afford anything close to that now. I'll give Microtek 2-3 days to come up with a solution, I'm in contact with them, and if they can't I'll buy the Vuescan Pro program. Thanks a bunch.

Glad you got it solved and now have an option to keep the scanner.