Need Help Choosing Between HP, Dell, Sony & Gateway

jfclague

Everyone,

I am looking at buying a new laptop and I am having trouble deciding. I am looking for a desktop replacement with 17" screen. I have attached the specs for the models I am interested.

Thanks for any input.
Jim

HP Pavilion zd8000
-Microsoft XP Media Center OS
-Intel Pentium 3.2GHZ
-1GB RAM
-80GB Hard Drive
-17.1" WSXGA Monitor
-Docking Station Available
$2,324

Dell Inspiron 9200
-Intel Pentium 2.1GHZ
-1GB RAM
-80GB Hard Drive
-17.1" UltraSharp WSXGA Monitor
-Port Replicator Available
$2,384

Sony VAIO VGN-A190
-Intel Pentium M 765 2.1GHZ
-1GB RAM
-80GB Hard Drive
-17.1" WUXGA w/XBRITE Technology Monitor
-Docking Station Available
$2,680

Gateway M675XL
-Intel Pentium 3.4GHZ
-1GB RAM
-80GB Hard Drive
-17.1" High Resolution WSXGA Monitor
-Port Replicator Available
$2,560

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Slammer said:
Well all are good choices but you should get one with the M cpu. The non M are desktop cpu's and they run hot as heck. The Sony has the M check if the others can get an M.

Slammer

The Dell is also Pentium M.

supersly_jones

i went with the hp....you won't find a bad review on it anywhere on the net....the zd8000 is great...but it doesn't have the m processor so it does get a lil hot and hard on batteries

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I just like to point out some differences between those labtops that I notice after going to the site and looking at each one.

The cpu already been covered in this thread.

RAM:dell,sony uses 333mhz ram while gateway and hp uses 400mhz ram
videocard:gateway I could not fine anywhere which video card comes with it. dell and sony was a mobal 9700 128mb and HP was a mobal x600 256MB.

If it was me and you using it primary as a desktop replacement I would go with the HP. I like the fact that they use faster ram and I like the company better then gateway. The fact that it the cheapest one is a nice bonus.

Last edited:

supersly_jones

my hp zd8000 will be here the first of next week so if your not planning on purchasing until after that time i will tell you how i like it

Grimulus

SONY SONY SONY. -=EVERYONE=- I know that had a Dell laptop for any amount of time has had to send it back for defects. My best friend sent her's back 3 time in the past year.

Sony makes good laptops. I would seriously consider IBM. That would be my next choice. Check out Sager. They look good and seem to be designed well, but i haven't gotten to sit in front of one long enough to know for sure or not. It's worth a look.

I vote IBM, but if you have to choose from those 4 or whatever, go Sony.

supersly_jones

i got my hp zd8000...its amazing....i can run...internet exploer(10) windows....msn messenger with 8 windows open and talking...unreal tourney minimized...and microsoft word all running....then to really test it i loaded up a harry potter dvd....never froze up or slowed

oh by the way..if you go to order and want the tv tuner you HAVE to order windows media edition....hp won't include the tuner otherwise

Echo_

17 inch powerbook is pretty bad?? no way lol
i put it in there as an apple propaganda :p
but i reccomend to people that are just using their comps for nongaming to check out apples because they are good, have few problems, and the best part is the OS :)

supersly_jones

when i said "pretty bad" i meant by looks....sorry i didn't clarrify...i had to leave in a hurry....the macs are good looking but i jst don't like the os....doesn't make sense to me...but then again i've never owned one....just used em now and then

Echo_

the os is quite easy really
you ever wonder why people dont know how to do stuff in windows? its because its not simple

if i were you id see if theres an apple store near me and play around with one. theyre really quite nice

supersly_jones

well the one few i have played on were all owned by one of my teachers...he is a mac NUT....he's got this ibook...his 40gig ipod....his g3 desktops....they all seems to be nice machines....just it might be the way his are setup that i don't like....the only other one i've used was i think a g4 and i actually did enjoy the os on it...with all the icons scrollable across the bottom....but i don't think i would spend my own money on one...the pc's are working really good for me....so i'm not planning on changing anything