Need Help Choosing Budget Case and Power Supply

ezefosure

My old OCZ Gamextream 700w PSU died.

I'm putting together a new budget build. Hopefully it will be a temporary build - only end up keeping it for about a year before making an entirely new build. I want a cheap but quality power supply. It doesn't have to have a crazy amount of wattage - I don't use SLI/Crossfire. But I want it quiet.

I'm looking for a quality budget case as well.

The build will be housing an ASUS P7P55D-E LX, Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz, and 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600. I'm not sure what the video card will be just yet - probably a 9600 gt. All running stock speed/configs.

I'll be using the build for (very) casual gaming, but mostly some experimentation w/ Virtualization (VMWare and Oracle VirtualBox) and other IT-related school work. Since it's mostly going to be used for studying, I don't want to go too expensive on it.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Broken links. But any PSU for $20 is a bad idea.

it's a corsair CX430, it should be enough to run the system, but if you want to upgrade your gpu or whatever later on, or you want to overclock, then I would take at least 550watt from a decent brand or more (depending on what you're planning to do)

ezefosure

I don't plan on doing any overclocking w/ the system.
And as long as the GPU can handle a few decade-old games on max settings and a few newer ones (XCOM, Borderlands 2) on medium-low settings w/o lagging, I'll have no need to upgrade. I just need a cheap system to get me thru this school year - nothing more.

However, I wouldn't mind a better PSU around the 500w area w/ a sub $70 price point.

I'm also open to suggestions for a better case.

ezefosure

Now I'm thinking about switching the PSU to a Rosewill. They're currently 20% off on Newegg and the ones I'm looking at have 120mm fans for quieter performance.

Edit: Don't know why none of my links work.

Links were to Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-SB and Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12

The Case above I was thinking about was the Corsair Carbide Series 200R.
However, I'm thinking about going cheap and getting the Rosewill Redbone Black Secc Mid Tower. It's currently on sale for $35 on Newegg.

The Rosewill Stallion PSU and Rosewill Stallion Case are $76 from Newegg, including tax & free shipping, after the promotions.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

I would go with Corsair for sure. A CX500 and a 300R would be a great high quality setup. Any case from Corsair or NZXT is good, and PSU from Seasonic or Corsair is good.