Need help choosing laptop

BestS

Hi!

So...I don't know if I can't ask this. Feel free to delete if not. I

Please help me choose especially if you are very good with computers.

I bought this model (14 days to return): https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...35g1-256gb-ssd-12gb-ram-windows-10-s/14716026

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 3 Model Number: 81WE00NJCF

The actual one I bought and just received today was on sale because it was an open box so I bought it for 599.99$CAD. 680$CAD with taxes.

The other one I am hesitating to exchange with is this one: https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/7fr1

Same price but bigger rebate. It's more recent...New Intel core generation but i3 instead of i5. Is it faster? 4.1Ghz instead of 3.6Ghz. Two hearts instead of 4. RAM is lower BUT if I learn how to do it there are additional slots to add RAM contrary to the Lenovo which is maxed out at 12GB. But that would be an additional expense with the Dell. Better resolution with the Dell but smaller screen.

Which one is faster (speed very important) with a LOT of multitasking including digital painting (multiple layers)?
And which one will have longer lasting performance as it ages or in other words which one will last longer in theory?

Thank you!

Last edited:

strollin

The i3 computers that I have used seem substantially slower than ones running an i5. The i5 is a quad core processor while the is is a dual core.

For intensive computing and multitasking, I'd go with the i5.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't have bought the one from best buy. Its base speed is only 1ghz but the SSD will help some. You really want to be above 2ghz for base clock. Had a client buy a laptop just like this and it was slow as heck though it had a regular hdd instead of an SSD and it was a refurbished model. Told them to return it and get something better.

BestS

Thank you so much for your imput guys. Really appreciated.

The i3 is 11th generation and turboboosts to 4.1Ghz despite it having a dual core instead of a quad? The i5 is 10th generation. That's why I don't know which is better. Although I do find the Lenovo pretty fast minus some glitches, especially compared to the low end horror I had before.

The Dell I could upgrade the RAM, the Lenovo no.
I don't even know if the Lenovo is a DDR4? There is no mention and I just read that it was an important thing to consider.

strollin

When I want to compare 2 cpus, I type this into google: cpu_full_model_number1 vs cpu_full_model_number2
You'll get a very good comparison between the 2cpus.

Again, I wouldn't waste time deciding between an i3 and an i5. Instead, you might consider a laptop with a higher end i5 as john35 suggested.

I doubt there are currently selling models of computers that have anything less than DDR4 RAM.

BestS

When I want to compare 2 cpus, I type this into google: cpu_full_model_number1 vs cpu_full_model_number2
You'll get a very good comparison between the 2cpus.

Again, I wouldn't waste time deciding between an i3 and an i5. Instead, you might consider a laptop with a higher end i5 as john35 suggested.

I doubt there are currently selling models of computers that have anything less than DDR4 RAM.

Sorry I missed this message. Busy trying to salvage files from a messed up USB key.

Concerning the DDR4 RAM. I'm not so sure, especially with the low end piece of ... I initially bought.

What do you mean higher end i5....isn't a 10th generation pretty high end? :( Next step would be an 11th generation but that might make the computer much more expensive here in dear Canada.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean higher end i5....isn't a 10th generation pretty high end?
That don't mean anything. Look at processor speed base clock. I don't care if it has turbo or not. 1ghz as a base clock is too way to slow. Look for something over 2ghz for a base clock.

BestS

That don't mean anything. Look at processor speed base clock. I don't care if it has turbo or not. 1ghz as a base clock is too way to slow. Look for something over 2ghz for a base clock.

Ok thank you. I've been looking at a Dell one that would be a 100$ more with taxes but would fit that criteria...downside is 8GB RAM instead of 12GB...Can't have it all in my price range I guess.

Well, thank you!

Darren

Staff member
Do you know how these chips work? The base clock is essentially irrelevant. My base clock on my i5 4200U was 1.6GHz but it would hold 2.3-2.6GHz across all threads easily under load. Had a boost of 2.6GHz. Sure higher base clock speeds can imply a little more thermal/power headroom. But boost clock is boost clock and it'll boost right up there.

The i3 is a hyperthreaded Dual Core with 4 threads, and boosts to 4.1GHz

The i5 is a hyperthreaded Quad Core with 8 threads and boosts up to 3.6GHz.

If you're doing heavier workloads, i5 will win out but for basic work the i3's are fine these days. I would not have said the same 3+ years ago. They're far faster than the i5's of a couple years ago once they finally started shaking up core/thread counts. For the longest time i5's were hyperthreaded dual cores or true quads without HT. i3's were just normal dual cores and sloooow.

My i5 4200U 2C/4T still hangs fine for normal stuff and it's 7 generations out now.

I'd stick with the Lenovo, although a 1366x768 screen in 2021 is just insulting.

FNHFive7

It is probably too late, as I am guessing you have gotten a new one or decided to keep what you originally had, but I ran across this Lenovo open-box with a 10th gen i7-1065G7 for $539 which seems like a nice deal: