Need help fast

Michael Garaysi

O.k my dad has a laptop that he uses for his work. He has a compaq with windows XP. Somthing id very wrong with it. Every time he turns it on it turns off by it self. We can't even go on it for 5 minutes before it turns off. I thing it is a worm or virus. I have McAfee and i scanned it but it didn't find any infections or anything. I have a spware remover called Spyware Doctor that didn't help either. My dad says that he doesnt even want to think of recovereing it becuase its for his work. And it has all of his files. For like his clients and stuff. Thier is to much things on his computer that he wants so he cant recover it. Is thier a way to stop making it turn off or find out why o rwho is doing this?

aus2480

Have you tested it in safe mode? (press F8 while booting up). Does it do the same thing (turning off after 5 minutes)? Maybe you can rescan the hard drive with some other antivirus or antispyware program, while it is in safe mode. You can download AVG antivirus (for free) or look for a program such as browser hijack recover (should not damage any files), and clean the HDD.

The cause might also be a faulty battery...
....or some process that is taking too much CPU power and makes the hdd turn off - in this case it is probably a virus/spyware. Check the taskmanager/processes for files that take up unusually high CPU percentage, and search for the file(s) in the C drive.
If you identify such file, then google it and see if you can find any information about it. If it's a system file, then leave it...otherwise, if it's identified as a virus or worm, you can try to delete it (under safe mode)
Just some ideas....good luck!

-------------------------------------
http://www.onebillionviews.com

Michael Garaysi

Hi, yeah I tried McAfee and AVP like you said and it tried a program called Spyware doctor and another program for worms. And none of these programs help my computer still turns off continiously.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Faulty power supply possible, or fried component in the computer. Open the laptop up and check it out. If it's REALLY hot, it's overheating, find the source of heat and get better cooling for it. If anything smells burnt, you might be looking at replacing hardware.

skatmanden

I had the exact same problem with my laptop and just becuse you can hear the fan running doesn't mean that it's not overheating. I cleaned my fan which was full of dust and stuff I never thought would get into a laptop and the problem was solved. It's overheating in some way I reckon. If it's not the fan it's another component that's knackered. Try cleaning the fan first. Get advice on taking it apart to access the fan or pay a tech to fix it if you dont want to take that risk.

angelv

i had a problem very much the same check your fan if the computer is a little old it can be that the fan got cloged with dirt. This happened to me and my temp. was about 75 c. you can hear the fan but this could be the problem.