Need help figuring out m.2 with i7 skylake

Zeemo

So I am building a computer and so far I have only ordered my psu and primary hard drive.
The hard drive being a samsung m.2 950 pro 512mb
I wanted to get an i7 6700k with this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130872&cm_re=msi_m7-_-13-130-872-_-Product

However I am confused by PCI-e lanes. Skylake has 16 but I need those for my 1070gtx I'm getting right?. And my Mobo supports 20 and has 2 m.2 slots. I have heard that unless I get a 6800k with 28 PCI-e lanes then My speeds will be compromised with a m.2 and this processor/ mobo combo. Please help

Intel_man

VIP Member
The m.2 interface should be using the Z170 chipset's pci-e lanes. The pci-e lanes on the processor itself is mostly for the actual PCI-E slots on the motherboard. Even if you see your graphics card drop to a x8 bandwidth, you're not going to see any noticeable performance drops while playing games.

You are fine. Don't need to go to a X99 setup.

Zeemo

The m.2 interface should be using the Z170 chipset's pci-e lanes. The pci-e lanes on the processor itself is mostly for the actual PCI-E slots on the motherboard. Even if you see your graphics card drop to a x8 bandwidth, you're not going to see any noticeable performance drops while playing games.

You are fine. Don't need to go to a X99 setup.
Thank you... It gets confusing.... Let me ask you then... If you had $1000 for mobo/processor/cpu would you go that mobo, an i-7 (i know i-5 is same performance for $100 less) and a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z

Intel_man

VIP Member
an i-7 (i know i-5 is same performance for $100 less)
Depends on what you plan on doing. Hyperthreading may be very important for you.

Unless you plan on using software that is beneficial with more cores or plan on using a lot of expansion cards later and/or lots of ram (for whatever that reason maybe...) there's really no need to get a X99 setup.

Zeemo

It's mainly for VR/personal computer. From what I understand, for gaming i5 6600k will perform the same as an 6700k will be the same a 6800k
I got scared after I ordered my M.2 that I would need a 6800k to have it running at full speed

Zeemo

Depends on what you plan on doing. Hyperthreading may be very important for you.

Unless you plan on using software that is beneficial with more cores or plan on using a lot of expansion cards later and/or lots of ram (for whatever that reason maybe...) there's really no need to get a X99 setup.
Like should I go 6600k($230) on a $100 mobo and use that extra $200 and get a 1080? I just like the i7 better for no reason and I love MSI and love that mobo

Intel_man

VIP Member
In that case, you might want to get a Z170 setup, and see if you can squeeze a gtx 1080 in your build. VR is very demanding.

If you can fit a 6700k in it as well, sure. If not, a 6600k wouldn't be a bad option.