need help for building computers

run4it

I need to build a computer but i'm not sure what parts to put in it. I want to use it for school but i also want to play games on it. I have budget $500. I definetely want to use an amd processor. the only things i don't need are a case and windows. I think i'm going to wait for one of those rebate deals at best buy or some other place like that to get my hard drive(s). So i guess u need to run on a $450 budget without any hard drives.

XHotxEx791

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-80
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400-79
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A-41
SAPPHIRE 100119L Radeon X550 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card-73
Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-57

Total $484.

run4it

waht the heck r u talkin about. Artic 5 is necessary on all pc's. i don't need to buy it though cuz i can get it from a friend for free. hehe. But its always necessary. I'm planning on overclocking slightly with the stock cooling. Arctic 5 will help me do that better.

XHotxEx791

I have to disagree, because the psu will really suck. And the x700 isn't as good compared to a 6600gt which could be added to my list for only $580 which is still cheaper than your cheapest build.

run4it said:
waht the heck r u talkin about. Artic 5 is necessary on all pc's. i don't need to buy it though cuz i can get it from a friend for free. hehe. But its always necessary. I'm planning on overclocking slightly with the stock cooling. Arctic 5 will help me do that better.
It's unecessary for slight overclocking, stock cooling should hold up

run4it

SHOULD hold up... Its just better to have better thermal paste if possible for the cpu and gpu. Its only $5 anyways.

SunkenD

XHotxEx791 said:
I have to disagree, because the psu will really suck. And the x700 isn't as good compared to a 6600gt which could be added to my list for only $580 which is still cheaper than your cheapest build.

Is the PSU very mediocre? Yes, but it'll run all that hardware fine. Our builds are very similar, and although mine is $600, it also inlcudes a case and hard drive that he doesn't need. Your build also doesn't inlcude shipping charges or a floppy.

And the 6600GT is only about 15% better than the X700Pro. The Pro can play any game out there on high settings.

run4it said:
Artic 5 is necessary on all pc's.

No sir.

run4it said:
SHOULD hold up

Have you ever used a Venice or San Diego. They run very cool - stock cooling is fine. Most CPUs these days are reaching their voltage limits before their temperature limits anyway. I've taken a 3700+ Sandy to over 2.7Ghz with just the stock heatsink/fan and thermal pad.

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
It's unecessary for slight overclocking, stock cooling should hold up
if you are saying Artic thermal paste is not nessessary then i tentively agree with you, but only as far as to say there are other brands available. If however, you're saying that thermal paste is not nessessary then you are wrong.

SunkenD said:
and so are you

Thermal paste should be applied to all cpus prior to hsf installation (well maybe not the older cpus, im think slot here). If not you risk parts of you cpu over heating. Most cpu's will come with some anyway, unless you buy oem.

As for you run4it, have you read
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=16363

SunkenD

apj101 said:
and so are you

Thermal paste should be applied to all cpus prior to hsf installation (well maybe not the older cpus, im think slot here). If not you risk parts of you cpu over heating. Most cpu's will come with some anyway, unless you buy oem.

I was saying that the thermal pad that comes with a retail CPU is fine (as this guy is obviously going to buy a retail CPU), there's no need for paste.

Geoff

VIP Member
run4it said:
SHOULD hold up... Its just better to have better thermal paste if possible for the cpu and gpu. Its only $5 anyways.

well the comp im running now has a stock heatsink/fan and NO thermal paste... of course its runs at 69C idle. lol

if you are saying Artic thermal paste is not nessessary then i tentively agree with you, but only as far as to say there are other brands available. If however, you're saying that thermal paste is not nessessary then you are wrong.
I was saying that the crappy brand of thermal paste would hold up...

XHotxEx791

SunkenD said:
Is the PSU very mediocre? Yes, but it'll run all that hardware fine. Our builds are very similar, and although mine is $600, it also inlcudes a case and hard drive that he doesn't need. Your build also doesn't inlcude shipping charges or a floppy.

And the 6600GT is only about 15% better than the X700Pro. The Pro can play any game out there on high settings.

subtract case/fans/gfx card substituted to 6600gt/hard drive and floppy drive, a modified version of yours would cost $530

while my version with 6600gt , but without additional psu would only cost $523 with shipping, as newegg has free shipping. :)

XHotxEx791

for certain items, yes. nvm shipping costs would increase it to $568 total, tax+shipping or at least to HI, which would cost more, but i would pay the ~38 premium to build it myself and have the warranty on the parts.

Roger

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and so are you
I sincerely hope for your sake, that's not intended the way im interpreting it.

Thermal paste should be applied to all cpus prior to hsf installation (well maybe not the older cpus, im think slot here). If not you risk parts of you cpu over heating. Most cpu's will come with some anyway, unless you buy oem
1. Not true. You can have a thermal pad
2. There are other types of thermal paste than AS5

well the comp im running now has a stock heatsink/fan and NO thermal paste... of course its runs at 69C idle. lol
Well then why the hell did he or she scrape it off? ;)

Yes it may be able to play them at high settings ... but can it play them well? :)

@run4it
Have a look at http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=16363