Need help formating notebook

ilovefishsticks

I have a 1999 toshiba tecra that I use for surfing the web. I needed to do my 3 month format of the hard drive drive (it makes it much faster with only 64 megs of ram on win xp, I was a dumbass and installed xp with only 64 megs of ram thinking i can get away with it, but i don't mind, I just put it in safe mode) so i put in the win xp disk and it boots up, but it said i needed some .ddl file in the windows directory. I went on limewire, found it, downloaded it, and replaced it.

Then i restarted the computer and when i turned it on it said that file was missing or corrupted, so now i can't even start up windows!! Does any1 know a way to format or get rid of everything on the hard drive without starting up windows, or is my hard drive fried and I need a new one. I have both win xp and win 98 boot disks. Any help greatly appreciated

lynx6200

theres a few things you could do, re-format or replace the file. If you want to replace the file, note its name and where its located, than go into dos mode and delete the file. From another computer running win xp, copy the file to disk, than use the disk on your computer, and through dos, copy the file over to your computer in the specified directory.

If you just want to reformat, Id suggest using your operating system cd, win 98, 2000, whatever, boot to it, and it will give you an option to format the disk, you can also do this through dos by typing 'format c:'

ilovefishsticks

lynx6200 said:
theres a few things you could do, re-format or replace the file. If you want to replace the file, note its name and where its located, than go into dos mode and delete the file. From another computer running win xp, copy the file to disk, than use the disk on your computer, and through dos, copy the file over to your computer in the specified directory.

If you just want to reformat, Id suggest using your operating system cd, win 98, 2000, whatever, boot to it, and it will give you an option to format the disk, you can also do this through dos by typing 'format c:'

lol ive tried all of these things and none work. the boot disks dont wanna work (which is why i downloaded the file in the first place) and dos mode/safe mode wont work either. If i try finding the file, burning it to cd, then put it in the directory it wont work because it needs an OS running before it will read the disk unless it's a boot disk. Thanks for replying tho

lynx6200

You can go into dos mode and access your disk drive, A:, you dont have to have a boot disk, just the file on disk. Are you saying you can't get into dos? Can you get into bios? If you can get in bios you could try switching to boot to cd (your os cd).

ilovefishsticks

lynx6200 said:
You can go into dos mode and access your disk drive, A:, you dont have to have a boot disk, just the file on disk. Are you saying you can't get into dos? Can you get into bios? If you can get in bios you could try switching to boot to cd (your os cd).
Firstly i am runing windows xp, I thought there is no dos mode in xp, only safe mode. Also i know to get into the bios on my new dell(which is now fried thanks to my lil bro, anyway..) you push F2 but one big problem. I dont know shit about bios anything. Ive never been in any of my comps bios once. do u know of anything that can help me learn anything about them??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the boot disks dont wanna work
why not?

Firstly i am runing windows xp, I thought there is no dos mode in xp, only safe mode
get a dos boot disc ... or use the recovery console :)

you push F2 but one big problem. I dont know shit about bios anything. Ive never been in any of my comps bios once. do u know of anything that can help me learn anything about them??
In the BIOS section, look for something that says "boot" or "boot order" or something to that effect. Change it [the order] so that the device you're trying to boot from (floppy, cd etc) is listed before the harddrive and yer done :)

ilovefishsticks

Praetor said:
why not?

get a dos boot disc ... or use the recovery console :)

In the BIOS section, look for something that says "boot" or "boot order" or something to that effect. Change it [the order] so that the device you're trying to boot from (floppy, cd etc) is listed before the harddrive and yer done :)

thanks im goin to start it up now and try changing the boot order. I'll tell u guys how it works out. wish me luck :D

i can send whoever needs a Boot Cd one via Msn etc as a Zip file or CD Iso ...but the Zip file will be better

Edit : Please PM me for it