Need help identifing a button/program

imtrouble

Recently my wife computer was hacked, and they also got access to her facebook, they sent her a screen shot of her fb being open. but in the screen shot there is a extra button on the browser by the minimize button. Does anyone reconize it and what program is it for. it is a x with each arm of the x a different colour and a black center. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 68

mrgcat

I don't recognise it, but I think the hackers targeted your wife, because they emailed her. Maybe they know her or something.

imtrouble

thats why we are trying to figuere out who it is, they emaile her and myself. They thought they had something that would cause problems

tremmor

don't know the answer. never seen it. Change your facebook password. Use a virtual keyboard for change.

NyxCharon

It's probably some sort of VNC client. I'm assuming you've already checked control panel to make sure it wasn't listed there, right?
Otherwise, from the root of your c drive just do a search for vnc and see if you can find any suspicious folders.

imtrouble

We have found how they got in, they had access to her computer and added a remote access program, but i am trying to find out what that button is so we can prove who we think it is that did it

thanks scott

sorry for the caps, my work computer demands it......lol

mrgcat

We have found how they got in, they had access to her computer and added a remote access program, but i am trying to find out what that button is so we can prove who we think it is that did it

thanks scott

sorry for the caps, my work computer demands it......lol

I was gonna offer to help find them. What you do is find the email address that they used to email you. Look through the source code of the email that it was sent from. You should find an IP. With a bit of looking you would be able to find the company which provided it. Ring them up and say this IP hacked you, so they should be cut off. Whoever you think it was may mention it, and bam. Caught red handed. Why I know all this. I have been doing some jobs for ethical hacking so I know a thing or two.

If you need any help just ask!

imtrouble

i was gonna offer to help find them. What you do is find the email address that they used to email you. Look through the source code of the email that it was sent from. You should find an ip. With a bit of looking you would be able to find the company which provided it. Ring them up and say this ip hacked you, so they should be cut off. Whoever you think it was may mention it, and bam. Caught red handed. Why i know all this. I have been doing some jobs for ethical hacking so i know a thing or two.

If you need any help just ask!

it was a hotmail account, i did look and found nothing, can you find a ip if it is through the web?

mrgcat

it was a hotmail account, i did look and found nothing, can you find a ip if it is through the web?

Now that surprises me. Every hacker knows to never use accounts from providers unless they use a php script to make it look like that. The header would contain the ip it was sent from. If its hotmail you have hit pretty much a dead end. Though you have to register your Post/ZIP code when joining. Apart from that I think it is a dead end. Though facebook being facebook would probably keep track of the IP's the account was logged on from.

imtrouble

now that surprises me. Every hacker knows to never use accounts from providers unless they use a php script to make it look like that. The header would contain the ip it was sent from. If its hotmail you have hit pretty much a dead end. Though you have to register your post/zip code when joining. Apart from that i think it is a dead end. Though facebook being facebook would probably keep track of the ip's the account was logged on from.

thanks

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You can easily find the hacker(s) using their IP address they used to send you an Email message(s) (if they did that from home of course.If they went to another town to do it and then came back then you are fu**** lol).

Anyway...use Microsoft outlook express or similar client like that to recieve all hotmail messages from the server right into your inbox.After that go to the message's properties and then go to the DETAILS tab.There you will see the message headers and there should be an IP address from those who sent you the message.Then use that IP address to report them to the police and they will use that IP address to track hackers down and find exactly who they are and then arrest them if neccessary.

It is very easy to find someone who sends you messages.Because EVERY single message,post,upload and everything else ALWAYS leaves a trail according to which ANYONE can be tracked right into the appartment from which the message was sent from.
UNLESS if the hacker(s) use tons of proxy servers all over the planet to send the message.In that case it is almost impossible to track them down.But of course that depends on how they did it.
Or if they go to another town or even state to send you the message lol.In that case it is completely impossible to track them down since they never even did that from their appartment UNLESS if the police knows who they are looking for and the hacker(s) were recorded by surveillance system(s).

As for the icon...it doesn't matter what it is.
Your wife should do the following:

-backup all the important data by booting directly from the Linux Ubuntu CD and NOT though Windows OS which was hacked...
-completely erase the entire HDD using Kill Disk...
-install Windows again...
-install drivers...
-copy all important data back...
-change IP address...
-and if possible also change internet provider...

Cheers!