Need help installing Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3

bamhm182

Well, I finally got a USB mouse and keyboard, so I have everything that I need to install Linux on my PS3, the only problem is, it's not working.

I followed this tutorial I found on Google and it didn't work.

Here's the message it gives me, It's just stuck in an infinite loop with this message.

"YDL Message(not sure if it's 100% correct because the text is flashing and it's small...)" said:
attempt to access beyond end of device
SFO:Fuzo want=6959016, limit=4194368
printk: 4 messages suppressed
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1739753
attempt to access beyond end of device
sr0: Fw=0 want=6959016, limit=4194368
(A LOT of stuff, write if I need to put it all up...)
linux-ps3: Input/Output Error
kboot:

If anyone knows what I'm supposed to do here, it'd be GREAT if you could tell me, if not, I think Gamestop has some PS3s, I guess I'll just return it...

lovely?

isnt this illegal modding? i wouldnt suggest talking about it here... installing an operating system on a console usually isnt legal, so, i'd be careful

PohTayToez

Uh...

I'm pretty sure that no type of modding is directly illegal. It's your piece of equipment, you can do what you want with it. The illegal part is copying games/movies, which installing Linux is not directly related to.

bamhm182

No, I'm pretty sure, in this case, that it is 100% legal, an 100% unmodded PS3 gives you the option to do it...

Also, no, I wasn't able to fix it, sorry, I just had to take it back to target.

aaron_simo

its not illegal because yellow dog is specially made just for the ps3 but before you got that error message, how did you get the disc to run because ive extracted all of the files onto the disc which includes the otheros.self and .bld.
Could someone tell me what ive done wrong