Need Help moving old HD To a new PC

Proudyno1

Hey, my family's old PSU recently died and the old pc would not turn on. On that pc there a hundreds of family photos which we didn't get to move and are stuck on the old hard drive. The hard drive had no problems when the pc still worked so i decided to remove it and put it in storage until i finish building my new pc. My question is can i move the old hard drive (with windows 10 still on the drive) to my new pc, with a separate new windows 10 license. Would the old HD Still work even though it has all the old windows 10 files?

Also im planning to get a 1TB HD for my new pc, which will be my main HD.

aldan

just dont choose to boot to the old drive (use it as a data drive)and you should have no troubles.

_Pete_

As said yes it will. And when you get that hard drive into the new computer get those precious family photos on to other storage drives. To be keeping precious files like that on one drive is silly. If that drive goes down you have lost the lot. I know from extremely upsetting and bitter experience.

beers

Staff member
Alternatively you could get an external dock or similar to put the drive in for transferring the files.

But yes, you can add it to your newer PC and just boot off of the existing drives. It should just show up in My Computer when you boot up with the photos and other data.