Need Help On AMD FIREPRO W7100 graphic card BUILD, Trying to build a workstation desktop...

Djleiii

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen, i need professional advice on building a workstation which i already choose a graphic card which is AMD FIREPRO W7100. The problem is i need to know which CPU/Motherboard can pair with this graphic card.

Motherboard : no idea yet
Graphic card : AMD FIREPRO W7100
Ram : 32GB or 64GB ( Dominator® Platinum Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz This is my idea..but not sure isit worth it or extra ..comment
needed from professional )
Casing : no idea yet
CPU : intel i7 6700k
Storage : No idea yet ... but at least 1TB
Power supply : no idea yet
Fan : Liquid Cooling or Fan

Hope to build a Workstation for CAD and some video editing with four monitor...help is needed...
Thanks in Advanced!
smile.gif

Djleiii

Welcome to CF :)

The card will fit on any board with a PCI-e slot. The motherboard and CPU, however, are what need to be matched up. The CPU you chose is a Socket 1151, therefore the Board also needs to be a Socket 1151, else the chip physically won't fit.

Any of these will work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600567584

Thanks for the information...i am just curious about RAM size...does it mean the more the merrier..32gb or 64gb?

beers

Staff member
How much RAM do you utilize on your existing CAD sketches?

You could roll with a 2x16G kit and then buy another one if 32G is not enough, for whatever reason, but those would have to be enormous schematics.

Intel_man

VIP Member
AutoCAD doesn't really use workstation cards that much unless you get into 3d. If you plan on using very large files as x-ref, you may want to get as much ram as possible.

Djleiii

How much RAM do you utilize on your existing CAD sketches?

You could roll with a 2x16G kit and then buy another one if 32G is not enough, for whatever reason, but those would have to be enormous schematics.
600k to 700k i guess..you have a solid point there. thats the reason why i need your guys advice..i was thinking if i get 64gb will it be over the requirements.

AutoCAD doesn't really use workstation cards that much unless you get into 3d. If you plan on using very large files as x-ref, you may want to get as much ram as possible.
the reason why i get that video card because i need 4 monitor...easier for workflow and display some current active data to show boss.

Take into account the points @beers and @Intel_man mentioned. Are you also doing the tasks they mentioned?
not really...the main reason was for normal AutoCaD and some video editing plus four monitor screen....and was wondering if i get this video card, does it support up to four monitor screen which is 1920*1080

Any recommend motherboard? I was thinking about ASUS MAXIMUMS VIII HERO / or HERO ALPHA... Isit okay with this kind of build?

Last edited by a moderator:

AMD_man

That build looks great. I would stick to the 32Gb as mentioned above. Also you should really consider adding an SSD to the build.

Something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QN4qr7

Be careful when picking the RAM. Those seem high profile, and could make impossible to place certain coolers (mostly AIOs, if you go down that road).

The case is just a random one.